Pearls

Decorating By cgarner Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 12:52am by HamSquad

cgarner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgarner Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

I am wanting to make a string of pearls to place coming out of a hat box cake. What is the best way to make these so they are uniform and perfectly round???

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 9

Use a mold.

cgarner Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 9

Ok, if molds are not an option, what is the next best way?

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 9

Earlene has a how to on her website: http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm
It gets them uniform, just takes a little time to get them round. But if it is at all possible, get some molds. Also I made my own pearl mold with plastique from makeyourownmolds.com. I think I bought a trial pack for less than the cost of one ready made mold and they work just as well. I did a graduated strand from a strand of wooden beads.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 9

If you are doing them one by one I suggest that you use the back of a piping tip, roll your GP or fondant the same thicknes and use the tip as a cutter mold that way you have the same size ball everytime

cgarner Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you. You all are very helpful.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

Earlene has a how to on her website: http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm
It gets them uniform, just takes a little time to get them round. But if it is at all possible, get some molds. Also I made my own pearl mold with plastique from makeyourownmolds.com. I think I bought a trial pack for less than the cost of one ready made mold and they work just as well. I did a graduated strand from a strand of wooden beads.

I want to make my own pearl molds, was thinking about using Amazing Mold Putty. How did you make yours? icon_cry.gif
Hammy

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 9

Hammy I used the silicone plastique http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/silicone-plastique
At the time I bought it they had a smaller introductory offer for about $12.00. I just looked and they don't have that anymore. The smallest is 1 lb that would make a bunch of pearl molds. I just taped about a 6" section of the beads down on a plastic cutting matt, made a snake of the silicone and smooshed it down along the beads until it just about met on the bottom side and let it sit for about an hour. I had to do a little trim with the exacto knife to free some of the smaller beads. The mold is not at all pretty....kind of lumpy but it works just fine. I used it for the pearls on the platinum cake.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #9 of 9

Thanks Dynee, I appreciate your help so much!
Hammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%