Turrets For Princess Castle???

Decorating By Tiffany29 Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm by cownsj

Tiffany29 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 10

My lil' princess will be 5 Saturday. I am making her a castle cake. I tried making the turrets out of ice cream cones.....Major PITA!!

So I will be covering paper towel rolls for turrets with fondant. My questions are, How do I get the fondant to stick to the card board? If i make a glue out of tylose and water would that hold? Do I put anything under the fondant?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
vagostino Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 10

what if you use royal icing? there is a you tube video by pink cake box that shows exaclty how to make the turrets for a princess cake!

Tiffany29 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 10

That was something I thought of earlier. Thanks, I'll check it out!!

whit6 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 10

I made my niece a catsle cake and I also used paper towel rolls and covered them with royal icing and fondant and it worked great! I used the cake ice cream cones and stuck it inside the top of the paper towel roll because it added a nice touch with a little bit of a bump out. Then I covered waflfe cones in RI and rooled in colored suagr and attached it to the cake cone in the towel roll. I strongly suggest adding the cake cone in there because it gives it a more realistic look. Have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

grannys3angels Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 10

I brushed a thin layer of piping gel on them and then put my fondant on. The fondant sticks great to the paper towel rolls that have been brush with the piping gel. This is what has worked for me.

God Bless,

Tiffany29 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 10

wit, that cake is awesome!

Thank you all for your help! I'm going to go
"play" in the kitchen! icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 10

I'm going to be making my first castle cake next month and was thinking of making the turrets out of RKT. Do you think I'm just making more work for myself? Would paper towel rolls be much easier? Now I'm confused!! icon_confused.gif

Tiffany29 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 10

Rice crispie treats would be good. I have never used them.

On the pink cake box video they used styrofoam clyinders...

I guess you could use anything!!

rainbow_kisses Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 10

i make my towers using paper towel rolls covered in cling wrap and then moistened with water, roll gumpaste around making a neat seam at the back and then leave them to dry for 24 hours then i slid the tube out of the middle and let them finish drying,they end up really hard and then i place a cone of gumpaste on top as the roof/turret this way if the kids dive in they are eadible. i also fill them with a suprise sweet treat of candy icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 10

I made my turrets from RKT. It was a hot summer day and it was tricky getting it to keep its shape, but worth it. Any other time of year, or for a place with ac, that would be my automatic way of making it. But, I think it needs to be done with a fair sized cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%