Good, Dense Cake...

Baking By roniriv Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm by roniriv

roniriv Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 6

Being a newbie, I have not yet had to stack a cake with dowels or the like and on that note I don't think my cakes would hold up. I am afraid they would just crumble to nothing..I am sure everyone is not using poundcakes for wedding cakes....I just don't know how to get the tuff, sturdiness to my cakes...Thanx

5 replies
Uniqueask Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 6

Lot's of people use scratch, most of us, also use WASC, in the recipe section.

KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

add a box of pudding mix to your regular cake recipe..........even if you use a boxed mix that says it has pudding in it already........add a complimentary flavor of pudding ie: choc. cake/ choc. pudding...white cake/ white choc. pudding or cheesecake pudding, yellow cake/ van. pudding, etc.

I don't change the amount of liquids at all, everything stays the same as normal just add the box of dry pudding mix to your dry ingredients and make your cake as will thicken up your batter, and give you a nice dense, moist, and delicious cake with a good crumb (works well for carving too) HTH

Uniqueask Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 6

I also add coffee creamer or yogurt, to mine, in place of half the water, 1/2 water 1/2 coffee creamer, different flavors, depending on the cake I am making, same with the yogurt. and also sour cream, I dont replace the sour cream with anything just add it. When I find the recipies from the gourmet flavors thread, I will link it for you, it has some great recipies.

cakesrock Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:07am
post #5 of 6

I also used the Hershey's choc cake recipe in the choc cake section of recipes. It holds up well for 3D's too. However, I think my preference is the pound cake cake mix with the pudding - its great!

roniriv Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so very much, now I have tons of ideas to work with icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%