My Vote For Hi-Ratio Shortening...

Decorating By kikster Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 6:06am by hsmomma

kikster Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 32

Well I was at the cake store getting some materials for a wedding this weekend, and thought...what the heck, I will get a big tub of hi-ration shortening, just to see if there is a real difference. OMG!! My icing is smooth like ice. It is sooooo creamy, no grains at all, and I could clearly feel them on my tongue before. I was just premaking all my icing, I havent actually iced a cake with it yet, but I am SO excited to start icing. It was like velvet in the tub.

31 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 32

Usually i have to order my off the internet, But i made a great discover, Its still about a 20mile drive from my house, But i found a store that carrys Sweetex , Im so Happy icon_biggrin.gif But i didn notice that for some reason, That my icing was a little grainy this time i even sifted the PS, Have no clue as to why,

adorablemomof3 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 32

I tried the hi-ratio shortening and I loved the texture of the icing too but I didn't like the way icing tasted when I used it. I hate that I bought and now won't really use it but I think I'm going to order some cake dummies and use it for practice icing.

cakebaker1957 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by adorablemomof3

I tried the hi-ratio shortening and I loved the texture of the icing too but I didn't like the way icing tasted when I used it. I hate that I bought and now won't really use it but I think I'm going to order some cake dummies and use it for practice icing.

Was it Sweetex? Reason asking is, i used another brand of hi-ratio and i hate the taste it was slimmy on the tongue, Sweetex is great,

adorablemomof3 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 32

I don't think it was Sweetex. I will have to check when I get home. I will repost the brand name but it was yucky.

crisseyann Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 32

I am a firm believer in Sweetex....amazing stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

kikster Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 32

Mine was not sweetex. It says Super Quick Blend from Wesson...

Kitagrl Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 32

I'm hooked on Sweetex....I got an account with Sysco in Philadelphia just so I could get it locally instead of ordering online! I'll never go back to grocery store shortening.

tonedna Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 32

I am a sweetex girl
Edna icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I am a sweetex girl
Edna icon_smile.gif

meee tooo, icon_lol.gif

emlashlee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 32

Do you use the same amount of hi-ratio shortening in BC recipes, or do I need to search out new recipes that specify hi-ratio? I usually use indydebi's BC with normal shortening.

adorablemomof3 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

Do you use the same amount of hi-ratio shortening in BC recipes, or do I need to search out new recipes that specify hi-ratio? I usually use indydebi's BC with normal shortening.

I used a recipe from CC that called for the high ratio shortening.

grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 32

I use Sweetex, and the Sugarshack recipe. I didn't like the taste out of the bowl, but it's wonderful mixed with cake! Mmmmm...

aundrea Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 32

were can you order sweetex- and approx how much? i would love to try it.

grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:28pm
post #15 of 32

Are you sitting down??

A 50 lb. block is about $85 at www. fondant source . com and that's the best price I can find. www.globalsugarart.com has 12 lb. for about $35. You might find smaller quantities elsewhere.

It can take up to 3 lb. for a batch of Sugarshack Buttercream, depending on the size of your mixer. I don't know about other recipes, but someone else can jump in here on that one.

aundrea Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #16 of 32

wow that is a bit pricey for me, as a hobbist. im sure the professional bakers can appreciate the quality. maybe if i find a small bucket i will definately give it a try.
thanks for the info!

adorablemomof3 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorablemomof3

Was it Sweetex? Reason asking is, i used another brand of hi-ratio and i hate the taste it was slimmy on the tongue, Sweetex is great,

I just checked the brand and there is no actual brand name on it. I ordered it from Kitchen Krafts. HA. . .That might explain part of the problem...it doesn't even have a brand associated with it.

superstar Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:34am
post #18 of 32

I'm a Sweetex girl too LOL. I love it, my BC is delicious, I must admit I use real butter as well in my BC. Sweetex is not expensive if you work it out per lb. $3.00 per lb. It is the shipping that kills me, I order it from Global & bless Alan for shipping it parcel post to me $17.00 instead of $41.75. One of the drawbacks of living in Hawaii is the outrageous cost of shipping anything here, USPS is the best method & if it is not anything too heavy Flat Rate Priority is an excellent service. UPS & Fedex are out of the question.

terrig007 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Usually i have to order my off the internet, But i made a great discover, Its still about a 20mile drive from my house, But i found a store that carrys Sweetex , Im so Happy icon_biggrin.gif But i didn notice that for some reason, That my icing was a little grainy this time i even sifted the PS, Have no clue as to why,

I had the same problem too. I wonder why & I sifted mine too which I never do.

Callyssa Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:10am
post #20 of 32

Sweetex girl here too; I had to settle for Penguin down here until I can order some Sweetex, and....YUKKKK!!! It definitely has a flavor. I'm using it since I have it, but also using lots of flavoring to hide the odd taste. Actually, tastes like Wilton fondant to me?

Question for the ones having trouble with their icing being grainy....have you changed your brand of powdered sugar? I know some say there is a difference between cane sugar and beet sugar, cane being preferred. Or possibly using 6x instead of 10x? I do notice a slight difference when I've done that.

My recent icings with the Penguin HR have been basically as smooth as with Sweetex using Sugarshack's recipe, until last weekend. I decided to use a different recipe that called for butter as well as shortening since I was covering the cake in white chocolate anyway, and WOW, was it grainy!!! I don't know if the ps I have is cane or beet as it came from a restaurant supply and just says 10x, but whatever it is, it wasn't grainy until I used a recipe that didn't call for hot liquid, and did call for butter. Needless to say, I will never stray again from what is tried and true!

tmcakes Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #21 of 32

I use sweetex and love it, but because of the "greasy" after taste I do half sweetex and half Land of lakes butter. I mention the brand name because I have not found success or equal results in using store brand butter, it seems to "break down" if I make it even one day in advance. icon_cry.gif But when I use Land of lakes it holds up very well when made in advance. thumbs_up.gif

Same thing goes for my 10x PS I "Refuse" to use anything other than Domino Sugar, anything else have a very grainy taste to me. Not sure if its available every where but its pretty much a staple here in Louisiana when it comes to PS.

Deb_ Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #22 of 32

I too love Sweetex......I use Sugarshack's recipe except I use 2 1/2 cups of butter and 2 1/2 cups of Sweetex along with the HOT liquid and it's smooth as silk and not grainy at all.

The HOT liquid is key......it breaks down (melts) the sugar so no "graininess".

I never sift my PS.........too much work. icon_biggrin.gif

aej6 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:12am
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I too love Sweetex......I use Sugarshack's recipe except I use 2 1/2 cups of butter and 2 1/2 cups of Sweetex along with the HOT liquid and it's smooth as silk and not grainy at all.

dkelly...I am guessing that you are a New Englander.....(great game, huh?) Can you tell me where you buy Sweetex? I am in Boston and can't find any places for all these items I hear about...particularly Sweetex. I've tried Lorraine's (?) in Hanover, MA but haven't found mcuh there....

thanks!
Ally

heddahope Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #24 of 32
Quote:

WHat kind of taste difference do you find with half butter? icon_confused.gif

madgeowens Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #25 of 32

I also like to use a stick of butter in my bc.....yummy........I used the stuff at walmart...great value I think the name. ......and it was not bad...and it crusts great..I had a bad time with Indys....I know so many love it, but I do better with my own I guess

Ruth0209 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:32am
post #26 of 32

I get my Sweetex at Cash & Carry - about $65 for 50 pounds. I completely love it. I'll never go back to store shortening. I think it feels less greasy in the mouth than regular shortening.

jenise11 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #27 of 32

Does anyone happen to know of a place in the Florence/Myrtle Beach, SC area that I may purchase Sweetex? Maybe in the Raleigh/Durham NC area? I ordered some from a online distributor SBN 1lb @ 3.99 plus shipping and handle. I was trying to see if I could find it a little cheaper. TIA

jenise11 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:12pm
post #28 of 32

Anyone?

Deb_ Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

Quote:

dkelly...I am guessing that you are a New Englander.....(great game, huh?) Can you tell me where you buy Sweetex? I am in Boston and can't find any places for all these items I hear about...particularly Sweetex. I've tried Lorraine's (?) in Hanover, MA but haven't found mcuh there....

thanks!
Ally

I order mine on-line I've not found a local place that sells Sweetex. There is a baker's wholesaler in Lincoln RI that sells hi-ratio but it's not Sweetex (can't remember the brand) it's OK but you can tell the difference in taste.

That Pat's game was insane on Sunday.....how about all the snow? I thought they were playing in Colorado when I turned the T.V. on and saw it snowing....I'm about 30 min south of Foxboro and didn't get any snow. It was crazy great!!

Deb_ Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddahope

Quote:

WHat kind of taste difference do you find with half butter? icon_confused.gif

I use salted butter so you definitely get a "butter" taste to the butter cream which I like.

I don't buy the Wedding Bouquet that she uses, so I figure I need some real butter in there to get a nice flavor along with good quality vanilla.

I don't know it's probably psychological....I want to know that there actually is butter in my buttercream! Weird I know! LOL icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%