What Do I Use To "paint" On Fondant?

Decorating By MammaG Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 4:27am by madgeowens

MammaG Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 19

I'm very new (really just made my first two cakes to practice for son's b-day in Dec). With what I'm planning, there's too much detail to decorate with icing, and I've seen on shows how they use something to paint with a paintbrush. What do I use for the "paint"? Thanks so much!

18 replies
tenleysmommy Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 19

You can use icing coloring thinned with vodka.Never done this before myself but know of many people on here that have.HTH

Stephanie

snocilla Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 19

I usually thin the icing coloring with lemon extract. Works great!

tenleysmommy Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 19

Duh.I forgot about lemon extract.icon_smile.gif

MammaG Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks! I'll try the lemon extract and see how it works? I guess portion depends on how much I'm coloring right?

snocilla Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 19

I just sort of guess. Maybe a drop or so of coloring to a teaspoon of extract?

motherofgrace Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 19

I prefer vodka. And I usually guess depending on how dark or light i want the colour

Cristi-Tutty Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 19

I just made a plaque using a little bit of lemon and then the color. So what I did was a put a drop of lemon juice in one side and the color that I was going to use in the other side of the plate and then I wet a little bit the brush with the lemon juice but just a little bit, and then got some colot and start painting. It was my first time that I did this, you can check my pic....hope this help...I am new to this too.... good luck...

brincess_b Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 19

you can also mix alcohol with petal or lustre dusts to make a paint.
xx

MammaG Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

I just made a plaque using a little bit of lemon and then the color. So what I did was a put a drop of lemon juice in one side and the color that I was going to use in the other side of the plate and then I wet a little bit the brush with the lemon juice but just a little bit, and then got some colot and start painting. It was my first time that I did this, you can check my pic....hope this help...I am new to this too.... good luck...

I didn't see the picture, but I like the sound of using lemon juice because it's probably less expensive. Can you use the kind in the bottle?

Cristi-Tutty Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 19

I used a regular lemon ..but I think it will work with the bottle one....

Here is the picture...lol...good luck!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1492617

Katzmeow88 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 19

Now that I know how to do the imprint, now I need to know how to make it look like white satin. I have tried using lustre dust with a little vodka, but it clumped up when I painted it onto the fondant, plz help....

MammaG Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristi-Tutty

I used a regular lemon ..but I think it will work with the bottle one....

Here is the picture...lol...good luck!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1492617

Thanks so much, and it looks great! I tried this, but it was way too runny. Also, do you just use painters paintbrushes?

Cristi-Tutty Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #14 of 19

I am sorry to hear that it was too runny...ups icon_sad.gif and yes I did use painter paintbrushes from michaels...

prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #15 of 19

I keep a small (like the kind on airplanes) bottle of cheap vodka in my cake decorating kit just for painting. Since I don't use a lot of it, a small bottle can last me a few years. Even though its just a tiny bit, I'm not using my Grey Goose on cakes, that's for me! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike_Elder Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:15am
post #16 of 19

I most often use airbrush color, or i thin gell with Vodka! sometimes I even use plain water to thin gel. I don't care for the lemon extract, but the vodka dries quick!! it all depends on what you want to paint
Mike

CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #17 of 19

I use liquid airbrush color. If I need a 'watercolor' effect, I dilute with vodka and if I need it thicker, I mix the vodka with either petal dust or lustre gold, etc.

adree313 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #18 of 19

a lot of the time i use airbrush colors. or, if i'm going the lemon/clear vanilla extract route i never mix the gel color with the extract. i put a little gel on a toothpick and set it next to a little bit of extract. then, i dip in the color first and liiightly tap the brush into the extract. way truer colors that way icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 4:27am
post #19 of 19

They are using food coloring or icing colors from Wilton for example and yiy can thin it with vanilla if need be, and use an artist brush...and they are painting mmf or other fondant.................hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%