How Far Ahead Of Time For Gum Paste And Fondant?

Decorating By cgarner Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm by Texas_Rose

cgarner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgarner Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 8

I am wanting to try to make a hatbox cake for a friend's birthday at the beginning of November. How far ahead of time can I start making the gum paste or fondant flowers to put on it? And how should I store them after they are made? Thanks.

I also just want to add that I am new here and I LOVE all the wonderful advice everyone here shares. You all are WONDERFUL!!!

7 replies
ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 8

I usually try to start mine at least a week in advance. That way they have plenty of time to dry before you put them on the cake. Oh and be sure to make a few extras in case of breakage!

cgarner Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 8

Can I start them sooner? Or will they "go bad" if I do them too early?

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 8

You can start them sooner, that will just give them a longer period to dry. And if you have a lot to do, then you will probably want to. They won't go "bad" they will just continue to harden. Most people don't usually eat the gumpaste flowers so the hardness shouldn't be an issue.

cgarner Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 8

The sooner the better!

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 8

If you make them in advance,just be sure to keep them out of the light as much as possible...fondant/gumpaste decorations fade quickly!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by momba5

If you make them in advance,just be sure to keep them out of the light as much as possible...fondant/gumpaste decorations fade quickly!

That's what I was going to say...store the finished flowers in a box to prevent fading. Pink and purple especially will fade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%