How Do I Smooth Gumpaste Edges?

Decorating By sewlora Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 6:07pm by sewlora

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making an Alice in Wonderland cake for my 17 yr old's birthday. I have made a tea cup and some playing cards out of gumpaste. I tried to keep the edges very smooth, but I notice some rough spots. Can I use sandpaper to smooth this? Any other suggestions?

thx,
Lora

5 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know how to smooth the edges once they're dry, but I have found that if I let the paste get almost dry then cut the shapes, the edges are more much smooth than when I cut while the paste is still moist.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 6

You can use a fine sandpaper or even a new nail file...either the emory board or metal 'diamond' ones that you can add to your cake supplies. I keep one of each kind handy in with my molds and cutters just to clean up any uneven edges!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewlora

I'm making an Alice in Wonderland cake for my 17 yr old's birthday. I have made a tea cup and some playing cards out of gumpaste. I tried to keep the edges very smooth, but I notice some rough spots. Can I use sandpaper to smooth this? Any other suggestions?

thx,
Lora

Just dampen your finger and run over the rough edges a couple time...will smooth right out.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 6

i also use a new nail file to smoothe any rough edges on gumpaste.

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 6

thank you! Used a fine sandpaper and it looks just fine now!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%