Hersheys "perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

Baking By crl Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 5:56am by sweetreasures

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 15

I have tried twice to make this recipe--both times it has ended in disaster. The cake always starts out baking really nicely and then in the last 10-15 minutes, the cake overflows and completely sinks in the pan. I am thinking this might be a high altitude issue, but the recipe gives no adjustments for high altitude. Does anyone have any suggestions? Have any of you who have raved about this recipe had the same issue? I would love to be able to make this instead of a box recipe because it does taste much better, but I can't get it out of the pan.

14 replies
ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 15

I'd say you're overfilling your pan.

crl Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 15

Actually, the pan was filled to a little less than half full the last time I made it because I thought the same thing from the first time I made it.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 15

I've made this numerous times. It is yummy. The first time I made it I had a bit of a disaster with the tester coming out clean but when I turned my pan upside down it went glop and it was very undercooked. Since then I use bake even strips and have had no problems. I fill about 1/2 full.

Sorry I have no altitude advice but you could try emailing or calling Hershey.

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 15

maybe try a lower tempurature. i've read alot of posts on here about baking at 325 instead of 350

crl Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you for the replies. Ally - I did bake at 325 because I used a bigger pan and did not have a flower nail to put in the middle. I guess maybe I will have to try filling my pan only a quarter full. I hate to waste all of the ingredients. I guess the plus side is that the scraps are still edible and really tasty.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 15

From the Hersheys website, this is for the Deep Dark Chocolate Cake, which is exactly the same as the Perfectly chocolate except you use the Special dark cocoa
HIGH ALTITUDE DIRECTIONS (Cake):
-- Decrease sugar to 1-3/4 cups
-- Increase flour to 1-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons
-- Decrease baking powder to 1-1/4 teaspoons
-- Decrease baking soda to 1-1/4 teaspoons
-- Increase milk to 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons
-- Bake at 375°F, 30 to 35 minutes for both pan sizes (2 9 inch rounds or 1 13x9)

crl Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 15

SandiOh - thank you for posting that. My next step was going to be their website. I appreciate all the input from everyone.

jeannetted23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeannetted23 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 15

i have had the SAME PROBLEM with this one for over a year now, and have NO idea how to fix it.
just wanted you to know that you aren't the only one.
it's too bad cause it is the most delicious chocolate cake i have ever ever had!!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 15

Nope, you're not the onlly one with a problem. I've never been able to make this properly, so I've just switched recipes to one that is just as good and works every time!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 15

I am wondering if there is too much air incorporated into the batter. I had this very same problem with Toba Garretts chocolate cake. I just couldnt figure it out because the first few times I made it, it worked fine! Then suddenly I started having problems. I did a lot of research trying to figure it out. At first I thought it was because there was too much levening in the batter (too many air bubbles). I was also wondering why suddenly my batter was whipping up more fluffy and mousse-y than it had been before. Finally I realized it had to do with the temperature of the butter. When my butter was really soft, I think it made this fluffy texture with too much air. Now when I make the cake I use colder butter and it works fine. So I don't know if maybe somehow you are getting too much air into the batter?

Raenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raenie Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:13pm
post #12 of 15

This is the only chocolate cake recipe I use. Everyone loves it.

I have never had a problem with it. I'm located in the Canadian prairies if that matters with the altitude. Although the recipe did come out for me each time when I lived in British Columbia as well.

My dairy is never at room temp, it's always straight from the fridge if that makes a difference.

I also have baked mine at 350, but now I'm baking at 325 with a flower nail, if that helps you at all.

Hopefully you can figure it out! A few weeks ago I was trying out a different recipe for a change and that one rose over my 12 inch round. What a mess in the bottom of my oven. For the new recipe I did leave my dairy for room temp though. Back to the Hershey's recipe I went.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 15

I've made it with both room temp dairy and eggs, and cold dairy and eggs...I haven't noticed a difference. the one thing I will say aabout this recipe is that if you cannot overfill the pan...I read once, the wetter the batter the more it rises....

I like to add half brown sugar, half white sugar, and replace some of the water with strong coffee....it is my favorite chocolate recipe...both for cupcakes and cake.

Raenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raenie Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #14 of 15

I will have to try it with coffee one time. Never thought about that. icon_smile.gif

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:56am
post #15 of 15

I made this twice. the first time it worked out perfectly using the standard store bought 9" cake pans. The 2nd time I used professional cake pans adding extra batter and it flowed like lava until it baked enough to firm up and stop.

As Sandioh said, you cannot overfill.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%