Ranting

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm by Deb_

mbelgard Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 22

Please read my whole post before anyone jumps on me about being mean.

Right now I'm really wishing that the Natives on the reservation I live on ate dog like some other tribes.

I now have the 13th dog just since August in my yard, people go around here and just drop off dogs they don't want. I'm not talking about a dog wandering through the yard but dogs that STAY, mostly puppies because they don't get their animals fixed.

I hate having to make my husband shoot the poor little things but there isn't much choice. We live 2 hours from the closest humane society and they charge to take animals. I can't afford to unload dogs on them at the rate we get them, the number we've had dropped off would have cost us $650 not counting the 240 mile round trip in the last three months, and leaving them alone is far more inhumane than shooting them because they will suffer far more from slowly starving to death. Plus an animal without shots isn't safe to have loose in the yard because we have kids.

I refuse to call the dog catcher, all he does is take them to the dump and shoot them and several people have told me that he often doesn't shoot them right so they wander around injured. Again I'm not willing to take a chance that they will be hurt and wandering around.

We have four cats, an iguana and a snake so adopting them isn't an answer since we have more than enough pets, besides that if I took in just one that showed up I'd still have to deal with all the others. There is no way that anyone can reasonably take in dozens of dogs.

It's impossible to figure out where the animals came from so there's no point in calling the cops, it isn't like these animals are wearing collars.

It makes me so mad that people decide not to take care of their own problems and dump them off on someone else.

21 replies
jo_ann Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 22

Here on our rez, we have a animal control officer who picks up the dogs and takes them to the animal shelter, if there is any cost the tribal govt. picks up the tab. If the animals can be traced to the owners they are then responsible for all costs.
We are also at this time in the process of passing a resolution to have to register our dogs with the compliance dept of our tribe. Alot of people are against it, but I personally wish they'd hurry up.

My sweetie(my avatar) has all his shots and is not allowed to run loose like so many other dogs here. My sil lost 3 dogs to the road this year alone. I finally went off on her and told her how irresposible she was.
It has gotten alot better since we got an animal control officer ( since around June of this year). Before that dogs were running all over the place, mostly strays. My yard would have no less than 7 strays wandering around constantly.

I wish your tribal govt. would stand up and be more proactive with the animal problem.

Pookie59 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 22

How sad! I know with the current economy, most shelters are full all of the time. I can't imagine dumping my dog - he's such a joy. I wish people who can't afford pets would not get them - the animals end up being neglected (no shots, no meds) and then they multiply because they don't get them spayed/neutered.

FlourPots Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 22

That's a terrible predicament to be in. I have no idea what the answer is...I do know that shooting them would not be an option if it were me...

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 22

Could you try finding homes for the puppies in the animal section of Craigslist? Or see if there are any animal rescue operations near you that could help you out? Or fence your yard to keep the animals out?

A lot of times the animal rescue people on craigslist are very passionate about saving animals and will go to great lengths to keep animals from being put down, so you might even find someone who was willing to drive out and pick up the animals from your yard.

It's heartbreaking to hear about so many strays. Does the reservation have any kind of free spay/neuter program? Or does the city or county? Could they somehow advertise it on the reservation? I know that here people on public assistance can get their animals spayed or neutered for free or really cheap, it's really just a matter of getting people to get off their butts and go get the animals fixed.

mbelgard Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ann

I wish your tribal govt. would stand up and be more proactive with the animal problem.

I doubt it will happen any time soon since they just started enforcing a no pets in the housings that was passed over 10 years ago. One of the main issues that caused the ban to be passed is people letting animals roam free and terrorize people, not to mention the issues in the housings.

You should have heard the stink about them enforcing that and I know of at least one cop who won't enforce it because he thinks that people have a right to have pets. Personally I think that if you live in a building owned by someone else you don't have a RIGHT to have a pet, it's a privilage.

I suspect the recent enforcement is why we've had so many animals dropped at our house this year, especially the older animals.

mbelgard Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Could you try finding homes for the puppies in the animal section of Craigslist? Or see if there are any animal rescue operations near you that could help you out? Or fence your yard to keep the animals out?

A lot of times the animal rescue people on craigslist are very passionate about saving animals and will go to great lengths to keep animals from being put down, so you might even find someone who was willing to drive out and pick up the animals from your yard.

It's heartbreaking to hear about so many strays. Does the reservation have any kind of free spay/neuter program? Or does the city or county? Could they somehow advertise it on the reservation? I know that here people on public assistance can get their animals spayed or neutered for free or really cheap, it's really just a matter of getting people to get off their butts and go get the animals fixed.

I've not spent much time on Craigslist because there really isn't anything listed in the area, most of the North Dakota stuff is from the bigger towns. I did check pets under services and nothing is listed for the whole state unless I'm really looking wrong. We live on the northern border right in the middle so there is no point to checking neighboring states.

There aren't animal rescue operations around here, the closest humane society or anywhere that takes in animals is far from us and charges. I just don't have the money to spend doing that like I said.

Fencing the yard is out as well, the cleared area is five acres and I just don't want to think what it would cost to put up something that would keep animals in or out. It's expensive enough to put up barbed wire fencing and the only things that get kept in by that are farm animals.

There is a free spay/neuter program and it is advertised but that doesn't mean that people are going to bother.

We've explored all the options and there just isn't anything around here, I don't take putting animals down lightly. When an animal does show up we do check everyone who lives near us to make sure they haven't lost an animal.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:33am
post #8 of 22

Thnak you for having the strength and heart for doing what needs to be done. There are a lot less humane ways to treat strays like letting them starve to death.

Luby Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:00am
post #9 of 22

This just breaks my heart!
Not your behavior, but everyone who has so little regard for animals that they don't spay or neuter a pet and just let them reproduce and then dump the offspring on someone else.

I'm so sorry that you have to be responsible for other people's neglect and stupidity. Yes, I'm saying stupidity - if you have an animal you should do the responsible thing to make sure that pet does not bring any more unwanted animals in this world. It makes me sick to my stomach to see pet owners not step up and take responsibility.

And don't let me hear any one say it's just a dog or just a cat. They are living creatures that deserve better than to starve to death.

Stepping down from soapbox now.

Deb_ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #10 of 22

Luby hit it right....."stupid people", that's exactly what they are.

We had a neighborhood cat have 3 litters in our shed in the past 2 years....YUP THREE LITTERS. The mother was pretty wild, neither we nor the animal patrol officer could catch her.

I finally found out who the owner of this cat was....an older woman about 4 houses away. So I boxed up the last litter of kittens when they were old enough to eat and drink on their own and took a walk down to her house.

I explained the situation to her and told her that I had found homes for all of the other kittens in the past but I couldn't take responsibility for another 6 kittens.

I provided her with the information from "Friends of Animals"....an organization that offers Spay/Neutering at a very big discount.

Her response to me was "Oh, it's inhumane to "fix" a cat, they're meant to have kittens" icon_eek.gif

I'm not kidding you, she's that STUPID!

People like this make me sick, if they treat animals this way how do they treat people?

Ughhh I'm spitting nails after reading about these dogs mbelgard.....I can't believe how irresponsible people can be.

I feel for you it's a terrible situation.

costumeczar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #11 of 22

That's an awful spot for you to be in. I'm sorry that you have to suffer the consequences of other people's stupidity, too.

Luby Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Her response to me was "Oh, it's inhumane to "fix" a cat, they're meant to have kittens" icon_eek.gif

OMG - I would have totally lost it and she would have had to call the police to get me off the top of her head icon_mad.gif

Deb_ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:41am
post #13 of 22

Believe me Luby I almost did lose it with her....the only thing that stopped me was her age.

If I could catch this poor cat I'd take her to be spayed, but she's pretty skittish and runs whenever we get close to her. She's so skinny and sad looking, it breaks my heart.

costumeczar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #14 of 22
Quote:

Believe me Luby I almost did lose it with her....the only thing that stopped me was her age.

If I could catch this poor cat I'd take her to be spayed, but she's pretty skittish and runs whenever we get close to her. She's so skinny and sad looking, it breaks my heart.

Call these people, they might be able to help catch her or give you some tips bit.ly/khSBG

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I've not spent much time on Craigslist because there really isn't anything listed in the area, most of the North Dakota stuff is from the bigger towns. I did check pets under services and nothing is listed for the whole state unless I'm really looking wrong. We live on the northern border right in the middle so there is no point to checking neighboring states.

The place to list pets on Craigslist is in the community section near the top left of the screen...but if the CL there isn't very active, then it probably wouldn't help.

The one here is really active...I found a kitten tonight at 6 pm, asked around and found out it was my neighbor's but he couldn't keep it so he'd put it outdoors, posted an ad at 8 pm and by 9:15 I found a lady who wanted to adopt the kitten. She's coming tomorrow and I just hope the cat doesn't pee the kids' bathroom too bad tonight icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I had let him play in the living room but it took him about two seconds to climb my birdcage and get bitten by Cupcake the lovebird.

mbelgard Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby

This just breaks my heart!
Not your behavior, but everyone who has so little regard for animals that they don't spay or neuter a pet and just let them reproduce and then dump the offspring on someone else.

I'm so sorry that you have to be responsible for other people's neglect and stupidity. Yes, I'm saying stupidity - if you have an animal you should do the responsible thing to make sure that pet does not bring any more unwanted animals in this world. It makes me sick to my stomach to see pet owners not step up and take responsibility.

And don't let me hear any one say it's just a dog or just a cat. They are living creatures that deserve better than to starve to death.

Stepping down from soapbox now.

Try this on for stupid:

A couple weekends ago my MIL was at her church on Saturday getting ready for a meal or something with some of the other ladies. She was the last to leave and there was a puppy outside, from what she said barely old enough to maybe be weaned.

It isn't the first dog dropped at this church, it's a rural church a couple miles from her house. No one ever wants them, there can't be more than 30 regular members of this church, maybe 8 families total, so the chances of someone wanting a puppy are pretty slim. It isn't like any locals shouldn't know this about the church.

To make this one worse though was that it was snowing, windy and cold, I believe the overnight lows were around 10 above that weekend. If it had been lucky enough to survive the night it would have had frostbite issues, my MIL called someone to take care of it for her.

And we've had animals thrown off at our house in the middle of winter when we're lucky to see the temp above 0 during the day.

mbelgard Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #17 of 22
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

The place to list pets on Craigslist is in the community section near the top left of the screen...but if the CL there isn't very active, then it probably wouldn't help.

The one here is really active...I found a kitten tonight at 6 pm, asked around and found out it was my neighbor's but he couldn't keep it so he'd put it outdoors, posted an ad at 8 pm and by 9:15 I found a lady who wanted to adopt the kitten. She's coming tomorrow and I just hope the cat doesn't pee the kids' bathroom too bad tonight icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I had let him play in the living room but it took him about two seconds to climb my birdcage and get bitten by Cupcake the lovebird.

Ok, I found some stuff, I was looking in the wrong place, but it was all people looking for someone to adopt pets and the closest CL area to us is 3 hours away (Grand Forks).

It was a bad idea to look though because someone is trying to unload three corn snakes, they are only asking for $20 for the adoption fee. It's a good thing they're three hours from us or my husband would be mad at me because he isn't fond of my kid's snake. icon_twisted.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #18 of 22

LOL...I got our hedgehog from Craigslist, along with three birds and my fish who I am very attached to. Every time my husband sees me looking on CL he reminds me that I already have a small zoo, I don't need any more.

adree313 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #19 of 22

this is just heartbreaking. it seems like you've used all the options you have, but i still just want to cry about it.

i can't even sit through one episode of "animal cops" without crying... no matter how many times i've seen the episode.

mbelgard Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:

LOL...I got our hedgehog from Craigslist, along with three birds and my fish who I am very attached to. Every time my husband sees me looking on CL he reminds me that I already have a small zoo, I don't need any more.

I told my husband about the snakes and he said no, he wasn't thrilled when my brother bought one snake for my son in the first place. I tried telling him they were different colors than the one we have but he doesn't care. icon_cry.gif

It's funny because he doesn't mind the iguana at all even though the iguana tends to scratch and has bitten my husband but he avoids the snake whenever he can. icon_rolleyes.gif Our snake is a corn snake and they're very docile, easy to regulate tank temp since they aren't tropical, don't get big, come in pretty colors and rarely bite even when they're shedding or hungry. They're a good snake for kids which is why my brother picked it.

In the year we've had him he's bitten once and it was my son's fault. He had been handling the mouse to defrost it and went to get the snake to feed him and didn't wash his hands between so he smelled of mouse. He had been told not to do that and has never done it since, the bite didn't break skin and the kid was more impressed than anything about getting bitten.

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:46pm
post #21 of 22

Those snakes sound kind of neat. I have an empty aquarium with a screen top. Wonder what DH would say if I put a snake in it icon_biggrin.gif

The girl who was picking up the kitten just left with him. I'm so glad I found him a home so fast (and in a few days my eyes won't be bright red and my voice won't sound like I smoke three packs a day...being allergic to cats is no fun especially when they're so little and cute that I just want to snuggle them).

Deb_ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Call these people, they might be able to help catch her or give you some tips bit.ly/khSBG

That's a great site....thank you so much for that link. I hope they can help this poor little cat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%