Advice On Stacking Large Cake

Decorating By 2winboyz Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm by 2winboyz

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I will be making my biggest cake this weekend, 6-8-12-16 wedding cake. I made a 3 tier cake last week and thought it was already heavy. So I am really concern about this cake since I'd have to deliver the cake assembled due to the details of the cake. First, will bubble tree straws be strong enough on the 16" cake to support the rest of the cake? Or should I use dowels, wilton plastic dowels, SPS? Second, what kind of board should I use under the 16" to support the entire cake? Would a regular cake board work? And how would one even lift this cake for delivery? Thank you so much!

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 5

SPS. Not regular board...make one from MDF/masonite. Yes, this is going to be extremely heavy. Two people should lift and carry.

2winboyz Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 5

For SPS would a center dowel still be necessary?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 5

No center dowel necessary, there is not even a hole for it. Here is more info:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=603925&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

2winboyz Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 5

That's what I thought. Thanks so much for confirming. I just purchased them for the cake and also a masonite board. The cake will be covered in fondant so I hope I can measure the cakes to 4" and not have issues. I should have played with this on a practice cake first! Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%