Help Please! How Do I Attach Fondant Bow To Side Of Cake...

Decorating By Anira72 Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm by Anira72

Anira72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anira72 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I'm in a bit of a bind. I don't know all the tricks and trades of this profession and I'm stumped about how to get my fondant bow to stay on the side of my cake. The cake is covered in buttercream; the bow is 4" wide made with fondant that is 1/8" thick. I stuck a toothpick in the back thinking it would stick but it keeps falling forward. It's a bit heavy.
I have no idea how to make it stay. Can anyone help me? icon_cry.gif

6 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 7

I use Wilton candy melts for that.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 7

I have used just icing to glue bows to crusting buttercream, but I don't know how heavy yours is or how high up you need to attach it. If it is big and heavy and you have to pin it high up, you may need to use a long bambo skewer.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I use Wilton candy melts for that.

How do you use the melts. I've never heard of it. Does it work good with large bows?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 7

You can also melt some chocolate chips in the microwave if you don't have any candy melts (you can buy these in Michaels or AC Moore). Melt in 20 second increments, stirring after each cycle until completely melted. Let it cool slightly (you don't want it too runny). Put some on the back of your decoration and hold it in place for about 15 seconds. It sets up very quickly.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 7

melts are great for attaching all things fondant, however not sure it would work on your buttercream.

Anira72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anira72 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you. I'll have to experiment I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%