Have You Guys Seen This Latest Controversy In The Cake World

Lounge By andpotts Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm by OfficerMorgan

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:15am
post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

If someone came to me with a picture of symbols they wanted included on their cake and one was a swatstika, I simply wouldn't do it.

I just don't understand why this bakery included that symbol ESPECIALLY considering they're Jewish. icon_confused.gif

Well the symbol they submited was not a WWll swastika--a WWll swastika is angled, set on it's corner and those were straight up & down and used in many different ways historically as has been mentioned from ancient history and on.

Now that I know this much of the story I think the Bridal family was wrong to post. She's still saying 'replace the lace'. That could mean appliques of the symbols then. The cakers were given authority to use their judgement on the design.

I completely understand they did not get the cake they wanted but they got a cake that fits witihn the ambiguous communication they are still reporting. I think once the bride realized she submitted the image--end of story on all the drama:

Quote:
Quote:

So, My first blog entry and it is a doozy. I hope that they are not all like this or I may not make another year.

She won't make it another year because the caker used the symbol her daughter supplied on her cake? They got a refund but why? Because they replaced the lace as directed? Refund for no apricots maybe. But time to suck it up and move on.

My decision is vendors need to beware of doing business with this client, they're drama queens. I can't fault the bakery for doing what they thought the client wanted.

The client could be the one getting sued here I think if Mob doesn't shut up.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 10:21am
post #32 of 45

Not to mention they apparently (or someone) came & made corrections where the bride changed her mind after seeing the symbols that she had submitted on her cake.

I'm guessing it was the cakers who made the changes?

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Don't you wonder if the bakery supplying a simple sketch would have hekped alleviate any confusion?

Some people can cake but they can't draw...

I think a lace cake with marzipan apricots and shiny deep green leaves would have been beautiful...without any of the silly ninja crap.

Except for that wasn't at all what the client ordered or wanted. Not all cakes have to be serious, formal wedding cakes-look at Pink Cake Box!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #34 of 45

O. Morgan--I get yah. But do you see where the miscommunications lie? I mean even after all this time the mob is not clear about the order. She says 'replace the lace'. No telling what the emails say back & forth.

The cake got fixed--the symbols are removed (by someone) money is refunded then she blathers her sour grapes all over the internet and still can't get her story straight (replace)

I think she's a drama queen. Not that there weren't ginormous issues but after all is said and done and she's trying to ding the merchant in such an egregious way with the swastika look alikes and all the ensuing history.

I don't know.

OfficerMorgan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #35 of 45

I've been thinking that when she said fondant apricots, the baker was confused and thought fondant cutout signs in apricot. Perhaps. icon_smile.gif

However, I do think that sketches can do a world of good in making sure everyone is on the same page.

I think all sides were at fault here-the MOB and Bride not being clear, and the baker as well. But I don't believe she deserved all this bad press.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:15pm
post #36 of 45

It is hard to trust the MOB when she does not even mention in her blog that the swastika -that she is so frustrated with- was actually submitted by themselves! She is blaming the baker of ruining her daughter's wedding cake so as a reader you would get the impression that the baker decided to add this symbol at her initiative.
If I was a client that requested a non-traditional cake with "ninja-crap" on the cake (don't understand either why you would want weapons etc on a wedding cake but everyone is different) and submitted a piece of paper with symbols on that included a swastika then I would only blame myself! If I would not have noticed that one resembles a swastika (since it is not even angled) I would have blamed myself and wished I could have payed more attention!
I don't understand how the MOB wants to put all the blame on the bakery. As she said herself, this was a long planned wedding. But then again, some people always want to complain and will never be happy...

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #37 of 45

I've been keeping up with this story and it sounds to me like a total breakdown in communication - from both sides.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I've been keeping up with this story and it sounds to me like a total breakdown in communication - from both sides.

You have summed up the situation nicely.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #39 of 45

When I first saw the cake it looked almost home made. I would have been upset just at that! The details were really badly done. It just seems like they slabbed on the shapes without thinking of the distance between them, or if 2 matching symbols were next to each other or anything.

When I read the description, none of what I saw on the cake came to mind.

I'm not sure if maybe I misread, but where did she mention anything other than the ninja stars, lace, and apricot fruits?

Another thing that bothered me is the color. To me apriot is more peachy. Yellow peachy almost. Obviously, the bride thinks so to being that the fabric under the cake is on the peachier side.

I am very picky when it comes to details like that or maybe I am over analyzing everything, but thats what I would expect if I were paying top dollar.

I've seen nice cakes done by amateurs on here.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

You have summed up the situation nicely.

Anyone else think it is a little strange that the baker couldn't put the level of work she has demonstrated in previous cakes, into this one? I mean regardless of how ridiculous the design was to begin with, the level of skill displayed is horrid. I mean, a notch below amatuer, in my opinion. The cakes in her gallery...beautiful! icon_smile.gif

Now, unless I missed something really key, like the baker had to hack on it to "fix" it, please fill me in. icon_redface.gif

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Anyone else think it is a little strange that the baker couldn't put the level of work she has demonstrated in previous cakes, into this one? I mean regardless of how ridiculous the design was to begin with, the level of skill displayed is horrid. I mean, a notch below amatuer, in my opinion. The cakes in her gallery...beautiful! icon_smile.gif

Now, unless I missed something really key, like the baker had to hack on it to "fix" it, please fill me in. icon_redface.gif

This is exactly what I meant. The cake isn't really professional looking.

I get a bit weary because there is a girl on MYSPACE that copies pictures of cupcakes and has them on her profile as her own. I know they aren't because I have seen them on FLICKR. It really pisses me off because what will she tell the costume if she can't replicate it exactly? That would suck!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #42 of 45

True that--looked liked a 10 year old decorated it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:10am
post #43 of 45

Maybe the bakers had a hard time getting enthusiastic about a cake with a swastika on it (yes, I know, it's not tilted so it's not the bad kind, but 10 out of 10 of us thought swastika when we saw it) because of their faith. That's not really an excuse, I know, they should have been professional enough to work past that or to refuse to make it. But maybe that's the problem there.

amielyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amielyn Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #44 of 45

I wonder if perhaps this cake was handed off to an intern or assistant to complete, and that is why the workmanship is not up to par. You see that many times on cake shows, the person you talk to and give the order to is not the one who makes your cake, adding further to opportunities for miscommunication.

OfficerMorgan Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #45 of 45

I think you are right amielyn-an assistant or something. But still, when its your shop, you should never let anything out of it that doesn't have your stamp of approval.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%