How Much Fondant Does Michele Foster's Mmf Recipe Make?

Decorating By emlashlee Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm by emlashlee

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:48am
post #1 of 11

I'm making Michele Foster's MMF recipe for the first time tomorrow. Barring the learning curve, I plan to make enough to cover a 3-tier cake (10", 8", 6") with 4" tiers. How many batches will I need to make?

Oh, and by "cream" does she mean milk or heavy whipping cream?

Big TIA! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:12am
post #2 of 11

I have weighed my results and I get about 4 lbs from each batch. If you roll your fondant to a moderate thickness, and IF it will all be the same color, I would make two batches. I made two batches for a 12" + 8" and had lots left over. If you need different colors you might need more.

I would recommend covering the largest tier first, working to the smallest, and I would recommend immediately kneading scraps into a ball and placing them in plastic to keep the fondant usable for the next tier.

I take the recipe to mean heavy whipping cream. That's what I use with success.

emlashlee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

I have weighed my results and I get about 4 lbs from each batch. If you roll your fondant to a moderate thickness, and IF it will all be the same color, I would make two batches. I made two batches for a 12" + 8" and had lots left over. If you need different colors you might need more.

I would recommend covering the largest tier first, working to the smallest, and I would recommend immediately kneading scraps into a ball and placing them in plastic to keep the fondant usable for the next tier.

I take the recipe to mean heavy whipping cream. That's what I use with success.

Thanks a lot! That sure helps me out. By the way, I love your avatar. icon_smile.gif

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 11

This fondant tastes the best of all that I have tried.

I have to warm it up for a few seconds on defrost mode in my microwave, then it kneads and rolls out great.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 11

Once I got about five pounds of fondant when I made it. I do mix mine with the Wiltons because I get a nice stretch with this mixture.

Hope this helps.

Jeannie

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 11

Cream, milk, any liquid really.

grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 11

I get some variation in weight also, I believe depending on the humidity and therefore how much sugar works in nicely, and also whether I add the white chocolate or not.

Love the stuff!

grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 11

emlashlee, I am so smitten with AB! I mean, the guy rides a motorcycle, plays the guitar, has produced music videos, knows everything about pop culture, appears to be handy, loves his grandmother and dog, and COOKS!

And he ain't hard on the eyes, or at least he wasn't. Have you seen him lately?? Skinny as a rail. No squeezins left on him at all.

emlashlee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

No squeezins left on him at all.

LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm totally sold on this recipe now. I'm a little woried because we don't own a microwave to soften it up. Will a little extra kneading help when I bring it back out?

grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 11

You'll be fine. I never microwave mine to soften it up. I just knead the daylights out of it.

emlashlee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:

You'll be fine. I never microwave mine to soften it up. I just knead the daylights out of it.

Oh goodie. Thanks! I was worried that I'd be doomed before I ever began. We've had really bad luck with microwaves and decided that God was telling us not to buy any more. icon_smile.gif (Burned the back off one while moving and set it on top of the range, my hubby set one on fire while literally boiling water in it...)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%