1 Boo Boo After Another...am I Still Ok?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm by Jopalis

Misdawn Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:57am
post #1 of 19

Ok so this may turn into a bit of a rant...just warnin' ya now. icon_razz.gif

Allright so I've had a super busy day: woke at 9 AM, out the door by 9:30, drive 45 min to students' house for a baton twirling lesson, ready to teach lesson at about 10 AM (only to wait on my student till 11!), finish lesson by 3 PM and travel 45 min back to the house. THEN...wash dishes (by hand!) and bake three layers of cake using only 1 pan, make buttercream, meanwhile boiling sweetened condensed milk (for the first time!) to make some caramel filling. THEN...stack, fill, carve cake, and crumb coat.

NOW...here lies my conundrum: while placing my beautifully stacked, carved, and frosted cake into the refrigerator, it dawns on me that I forgot to add merengue powder to my buttercream! AAAHHH!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif So I'm holding this cake (trying REALLY HARD not to throw it across the kitchen - only because I'm too d^%$ tired to clean up the mess! icon_mad.gif ) and wondering what the non-heaven do I do now? I know...pray to the cake gods! icon_lol.gif

So here I go...Please tell me my cake will be ok....oh please please please cake gods!

18 replies
Misdawn Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 19

Did I mention that I'll be covering it in fondant tomorrow? icon_confused.gif Yeah...fun. icon_sad.gif

wholden Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:08am
post #3 of 19

Just a newbie here, but I know I did that more than once while taking my Wilton classes. Nothing bad happened, and the taste was fine. After such a long day I hope those who know for sure will tell you it's ok. {{{hugs}}}! icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 19

You don't have to have meringue powder in your icing......sometimes I use it and other times not, not a biggie

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:52am
post #5 of 19

I've never used MP in my icing.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 19

I never even knew wilton had added it to the recipe until about two years ago. It didn't seem to make any difference in their buttercream for me. I think you'll be fine.

Misdawn Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:24am
post #7 of 19

Oh thank goodness!!!!

vtcake Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 19

Ditto for me on never using it in buttercream.

Whew!

jammjenks Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm
post #9 of 19

I used to use it when I made the Wilton recipe, but since using my own recipe I never use it. I think it is just to sort of stabilize the colors to keep them from bleeding so much. Not sure about that though.

maggiev777 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 19

not sure what the MP is in the recipe for - I thought it might be for crusting? If that is the case, you will be fine, just may have to work harder at smoothing since your BC won't crust. But I always use IMBC underneath fondant and that doesn't crust either, so no biggie icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 19

I think the purpose of the MP IS for crusting purposes, so you're fine!

Rylan Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 19

Baton twirling? THAT IS AWESOME!

Anyways, I've never made icing with meringue powder but hopefully you are fine.

zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 19

You should be fine I never use MP in my buttercream.

Adevag Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm
post #14 of 19

I have made many egg free cakes and skipped the MP in the recipes with good results. I don't even think to use it for regular cakes. Let us know how your cake turned out.

indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 19

Crusting is a result of the fat/sugar ratio. Since I never used MP for 30 years, I'd venture to say that MP has nothing to do with the crusting process.

amberc727 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #16 of 19

I don't use MP in my buttercream, and it crusts just fine, tastes just fine, I don't see the point, unless it's for Wilton to sell another product.

amberc727 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 19

I don't use MP in my buttercream, and it crusts just fine, tastes just fine, I don't see the point, unless it's for Wilton to sell another product.

prterrell Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #18 of 19

I'm fairly certain the MP is in there just to get you to purchase another Wilton product.

Jopalis Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 19

After you take the classes you think it needs it but I don't use it anymore. I wonder if it does anything re color not running... Not sure why they have you use it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%