Gold Buttercream Beads

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 11:08am by jmchao

kellertur Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #1 of 4

Is it possible to pipe antique gold buttercream beads, or do I *have* to paint the buttercream after it's beaded? Can you make buttercream "gold", like when you paint on luster dust? I hope so...

If there is a secret I'm unaware of, I'd love to know please. I'm not looking forward to possibly painting six tiers of beads...

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Kitagrl Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 4

No you have to paint it. icon_smile.gif But start out with the bc being a goldish color, and then if you get the paint the right consistency and a nice soft brush you can go along the beading pretty fast, esp if the buttercream is nice and cold and firm.

kellertur Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:11am
post #3 of 4

Thanks and da#n... I'm scared I'm going to accidentally paint gold onto the WHITE fondant. The cake is going to be a lot taller than me.
How will I get around the back if the table is in a corner? Am I missing something obvious? icon_redface.gif

Thank you.

jmchao Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:08am
post #4 of 4

Not sure what you mean by get around the back...wouldn't you simply paint it either just before you assemble it or just after? If you paint it after you assemble it, then that would imply you have to pipe the beads after you've assembled it (ie, along the "seam" between the two layers) and how would you do that if it's in the corner?

I would pipe all beads possible before assembly, allow to crust, and paint as pp said above. If you have to wait until it's already assembled, then you're going to have a hard time piping on the back of the cake, as well. Is there anyone that can help you move the table into the corner a few inches after you've finished it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%