Visible Filling "lump" Between Cake Layers Under F

Decorating By dallers4 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm by Texas_Rose

dallers4 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 11

How do I get rid of this? I have made about 15 cakes since my first one in June, all MMF, and if there are not enough decorations on it, the filling between cake layers is always visible, like an unwanted lump between layers. I've tried refrigerating the crumb coated cake overnight to firm it up and I've tried thicker fondant but I don't want it to be inedible! It always looks so smooth when there is only butter cream on it, but as soon as it's covered the nasty filling lump rears it's head! Any suggestions to get that smooth, cohesive look without a visible filling stripe around the cake? This is the only reoccurring issue I'm having. Thanks a bunch!

10 replies
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 11

Use a stiff dam to hold the fillings in. Let the cakes "settle" before icing them. (I wrap mine insaran wrap and then stack them how they will be when they are finished...just be sure to put them together in the same order when you finish them)

minicuppie Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 11

After filling and resting get down and check that your cake sides are straight up and down...level on the sides. I almost always have to trim the area where the filling is. (Sugarshack DVD about perfect buttercream application)

dallers4 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 11

Okay, thank you both for the suggestions! I am making a simple one tier, 2 layer cake this weekend for no real reason (other than to eat it) and it will give me the perfect opportunity to try out your advice.

So, stack the cakes before actually filling and/or frosting them to allow them to settle, and then double check the sides to see if trimming is necessary after they are filled. I have to say, I have never trimmed the sides of the cake unless I'm sculpting it. I'm afraid I'll just make it worse! They normally seem pretty level since I make them in the same pans, but they are obviously not if my butter cream is visible between them!

Thanks again for the tips and I will try them out soon!

Debbie

Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 11

I never have to trim the sides of my cakes, just the stacking and letting them settle works for me (along with the stiff dam) I guess if you use pans that don't have perfectly straight sides that might be an issue though. (I use magic line - no problems for me!)

Good luck!

dallers4 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks, I just don't know what it is. I use all Wilton pans & always use a dam. Like I said, it looks smooth until the fondant is on and then the butter cream dam is noticeable. I am going to remember these suggestions in a few days when I make my next cake and let the cakes sit in formation, so to speak, for a little while, so thanks again!

Debbie

mcdonald Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 11

I used to have the same problem and the way I have solved mine is by:

* using a thicker dam than my original icing; and
* I go around twice; and
* I start my filling about an inch and a half from the edge of my cake; and
* I fill and crumb one night.. then back in fridge over night to settle so that I can ice the next night.

This has worked like a charm for me ever since I started doing it. I have never stacked my cakes a head of time (before Icing).. that sounds like a lot of work that ya'll go through.. kudo's to ya'll for that amount of patience!!!

MrsNancyB1 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 11

The last cake I made, I took Doug's advice. I filled and crumbcoated my cake, then I put a sheet of wax paper on top of the cake and used a cookie sheet on top of that wax paper, then 'pushed' the entire cake down, and the excess filling oozed out of the sides. When I was done, I allowed the cake to recover (about 15 mins), then I smoothed the sides again. Then, I went ahead and put my fondant on.

I'm way too impatient to cover in saran and refrigerate overnight. I like to cover my cakes the same day I do the filling and crumbcoating.

GL!

dallers4 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 11

Okay, this is great! I am getting some wonderful tips and luckily I have the perfect cake to experiment on tomorrow since it's only one tier. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help!

Thanks again!
Debbie

minicuppie Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 10:56am
post #10 of 11

Wilton pans are the worst for not having straight sides.

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 11

The only time I have to trim the sides is when it's a very large tier and the different layers took different lengths of time to bake. For whatever reason, that makes them a slightly different size and it shows really bad when you put the fondant on. The good thing is that it's very easy to trim the sides, I just sharpen my biggest knife and trim away. If you look at some of the cake decorating books from the UK, they always trim the crusts off, so it must not be that weird of a thing to do icon_biggrin.gif

You might try putting the filling in the cake and then setting something heavy on top of it for a couple of hours. Some people use a ceramic tile and I think I've read about others using a book. Just put it on top of the cake so that the weight will press the filling out if the filling is going to squish out. That way you can fix it when you frost it, instead of filling and frosting right away and later it gets the bulge and can't be fixed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%