Layered Cakes

Decorating By jlsndss23 Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 12:23pm by jlsndss23

jlsndss23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsndss23 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 8

OK I am new to the cake things, I usually just make sheet cakes, but have decided to make a tiered cake, I have been looking at pictures on here, the cakes/layers look taller than 2 inches, I want to do 2 different sizes, bigger cake on bottom and smaller on top. how do you all put more than one cake for each tier?

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #2 of 8

Let's clarify what you're talking about.

A LAYER cake is two 2" cakes stacked on top of each other. This is the picture on the front of the cake mix box. This is probably what your mom did when she made a 2-layer cake. You get a cake that is about 4" tall; a typical round birthday day.

a TIERED cake is more than one of these 2-layer cakes stacked on top of each other.

If you are wanting to stack, for example, a 12" round cake that is 2" tall (aka single layer) and then put an 8" round cake that is 2" tall (aka single layer) on top of it, you still have a 2-layer cake except one layer is smaller than the other.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:12am
post #3 of 8

You sandwich the layers together with a filling. Icing, ganache, mousse, fruit....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 8

oh geesh, I can't believe I forgot the part about the filling! icon_redface.gif Thanks for "filling" that in! icon_lol.gif (ah, some days I just crack me up!)

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 8

Well I guess I am not doing my tiers right but I use two layers per tier usually, and they are about five inches each......thats how I do mine, wrong or not I don't know.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #6 of 8

madge - by the looks of your photos you're doing everything perfectly!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:15am
post #7 of 8

prterrell...how nice, thank you

jlsndss23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsndss23 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 8

Marge That was the answer I was looking for, guess I just didn't know how to word my question, I am learning! thanks everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%