What Makes A Commercial Kitchen?

Business By Lundy Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm by janebrophy

Lundy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lundy Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 6

Please share if you have any knowledge on the subject!

I live in Massachusetts and currently have a residential kitchen license that allows me to cater wedding cakes. I want to start an internet based business that ships baked goods. According to my state law I can't ship goods out of state from a residential kitchen. I have a carriage house in the back of my property that could work as a functioning kitchen if I bought the equipment. Can you tell me what you think constitutes a commercial kitchen? Can a dishwasher replace the need for a 3 compartment sink?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks-
Jessica

5 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:04am
post #2 of 6

Hi, Jessica!

I think, as long as the kitchen is not used for residential purposes, that's what makes it a commercial kitchen. Each state has its own rules as far as what you need to start a business, but I would think that your carriage house converted into a "business kitchen" would meet the commercial kitchen guidelines since you're not using it as your home's primary kitchen.

If you did that, you could actually move your wedding cakes out there, too, and then the business is all in one spot.

Paul

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 6

I would think your state agency that issues your license could help you with that. It should contain the proper sinks, "commercial equipment" such as ovens, mixers, etc. But your best bet would be them since states vary.

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 6

I'm going to say that a dishwasher does not eliminate the need for a 3 compartment sink. Every establishment that I have worked in has had both. Part of the reason is that not everything can be run through a dishwasher, so those items must be properly washed, rinsed, and sanitized.

TressieJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TressieJo Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 6

I think there also must be a "mop sink." Depends on the state I guess...

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 6

Just to add to the dishwasher vs sink....if your dishwasher breaks down, you will need to hand wash dishes, we have to have a triple sink for wash, rinse, sanitze, plus all of the chemicals necessary for those jobs....

Totally off topic, a carriage house sounds so amazing!!! icon_smile.gif I wish I had one! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%