Do I Need A Business Name And Trademark/logo?

Business By cakesrock Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 6:53am by revel

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I just started charging for the cakes I make (mostly b-day) for co-workers, neighbors etc. It is just 'on the side' and I do it at home. Do I need to have a business name and trademark/logo at this point? I thought maybe I should in case the business grows. I don't want my name to be taken. Can I just call myself something, as long as no one has it and not register etc.? I'm just not sure how to proceed...

If I do go ahead and create this 'business', then do I set myself up for tax issues I didnt' forsee and licensing and the lot? I'm only charging a minimal amount - covers supplies and a little of my time. I'm by no means compensated for all or even most of my time. It's my hobby and I just enjoy doing it so much and want to keep getting better!

Thanks for the advice! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 5

I'm by no means an expert at this, but I'm pretty sure that as soon as you receive any compensation, you must be legal - health inspection, legal kitchen, find out how much you may earn a year before you have to report it on your taxes.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 5

If you want it to be a hobby then let it be a hobby and don't charge. And if it's a hobby you don't need a business name or logo. But if you want a business name and logo, then it's business regardless of how much you make and you need to do all the things that come with starting a "legal" business that has a name & logo.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:56am
post #4 of 5

Here's a post I put in another thread just today that I think needs copied here:

Orig Thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=654393&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Quote:

.... and i make no profit that means i don't have to register a business right? And since i am making no profit i am not actually selling the cakes so i don't need to register my kitchen?

The govt could care less if you're a lousy business person who doesn't know how to set up a profitable pricing structure so that you make a profit. You're not considered a business "*IF* you make a profit". You're a business if you are functioning and acting and conducting yourself like a business.

It's common knowledge that a new business can expect to operate in the red for the first couple of years. Does that make them not a "real" business, just because they are not making a profit? Nope!

walks like a business, quacks like a business .... it's a business.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%