4" Round For Top Layer Of Topsy Turvy

Decorating By Horselady Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 3:03am by SucreSucre

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 15

Hey guys! I'm doing a baby shower cake in nov. Anyway, the shower is only 20-30 ppl max, but I want to do a cool design (for my sis). I think two tier TT cakes look funny so need at least three tiers.

So with all that in mind I was thinking I could do an 8, 6, 4. but do you think a 4" round would look ok? Where do you get the pan or do you just carve it out of two sixes (or one 8")??? Idk what to do here but I like the design for her b/c she is a "wonky" girl lol.

14 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 15

I do graduated tiers so it would be like 2-3-4, on top of 4-5-6, on top of 6-7-8 if those are the sizes your using.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 15

CKSA sells a 4" pan. http://www.countrykitchensa.com

Horselady Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:17am
post #4 of 15

Thanks guys! Still not sure if it will look good that way. I think I can't do graduated sizes as a 2" base has got to be too small to support a 4" top, lol. I'm trying to picture a 4 or 5" tall cake that is only 4" round!

prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 15

Maybe gradiate the tiers less severely? So for the bottom do 8-7.5-7, then 6-5.5-5 for the middle, and 4-3.5-3 for the top? You'd use less pans that way, because 2 of the layers of each tier would be baked in the same size pan and then you'd be trimming them down.

Horselady Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #6 of 15

Actually my plan was to bake the same size ie 8" cake, then put a 7" cake circle and carve out. I don't have all those pans! Lol.

Good idea though because I was thinking of doing it the standard way when it was posted that the top would have a two inch base.

How do you fill them though, or can't it be done?

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 15

I won't do a topsy tier smaller than a 6". I tried a 4" once but by the time I tapered the sides the base was a little over 2" and it didn't work for me. It fell over all the time and when I put it on the top of the cake and drove the center dowel through it ruined the cake because the 2" board it was sitting on was small. so the dowel didn't go through the board but rather pushed the board into the cake below it. It was a mess. But it was also my first topsy turvy cake and the first is always the hardest so maybe you'll have better luck than me.

prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:06am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

How do you fill them though, or can't it be done?

The same way you normally do?...sorry, not sure if I'm understanding the problem you're envisioning. icon_redface.gif

SucreSucre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SucreSucre Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:25am
post #9 of 15

I did this one for my daughter's b-day. It was a 4,6,8. It's a topsy, but not turvy, I just tapered my SCF icing to appear to be carved. It was much easier for me than carving a 4" tier. Its just a slight angle, but it was easy and gave me the look I was wanting. HTH
LL

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #10 of 15

Hi Horselady

I've made a topsy turvy with a 4" top tier a couple of times and haven't had too many problems. I followed Lindy Smith's directions - I think they were in Cakes to Inspire and Desire. Basically, you just carve a 4" cake to shape, don't worry about making 4", 3" and 2" layers.

If you want to fill your cake, simply torte it before you carve it. Don't use too much filling though - a thin layer of ganache is good. And make sure your cake is nice and firm.

Or, you could always make a dummy top tier out of styrofoam...

All the best,
Cris.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:05am
post #11 of 15

I have down a top tier and I had a 1 layer of each 4-5-6, sitting on top of 6-7-8. It gives much more support and is easier to get them tapered. Stack them upside down with the 6 being at the bottom, 5 inthe middle, and the 4 on top. It is SO much easier to taper that way.

Horselady Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:17am
post #12 of 15

Well, just tried to post by my blackberry desided to be a butthead.

Basically it was to say: I love the cake posted it is really cute! I feel so much better about attempting this small size knowing others have done it with success!

I always do a bc dam when I fill and I was worried that the carving would remove the dam and make the filling ooze?

And thank you all so much. You CCers are amazing and such an awesome group! I don't know what I'd do without you and I wouldn't be 1/10 as far along if I didn't lurk here so much!

SucreSucre Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:27am
post #13 of 15

Thanks, and no problem, I feel the exact same way you do. Good Luck and KEEP CAKING icon_biggrin.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #14 of 15

By the way Sucresucre that cakes is beautiful.

SucreSucre Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #15 of 15

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%