How To Avoid Top Layer From Sticking

Decorating By cserwa Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 12:32pm by Loucinda

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 8

Okay. I have a really dumb question. I want to make one of the belly cakes for a friend's baby shower. I have the pans that I need (sheet cake pan for more servings, Wilton soccer ball pan for belly, and mini-wonder molds for boobs). I'm putting the belly on its own board before laying on top of the sheet cake. Maybe I'm missing something, but when I put the belly's board on top of the frosted sheet cake, won't all of the sheet cake's icing come off and stick to the bottom of the belly board??? How can I avoid this?? TIA. I'm laughing as I type this because I just know there has to be something I'm missing...

7 replies
diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 8

nope, you're not missing anything and more than likely right. It probably will stick a little so what I do in this case is sprinkle some powdered sugar on the surface where you will be placing the "belly". If the belly is heavy, you may want to use dowel rods in the lower tier. HTH!
Happy caking! icon_biggrin.gif

cserwa Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah, I definitely plan on adding some support. And I guess just wait for BC to crust, sprinkle powdered sugar, and hope for the best??? Thanks.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 8

Put your supports just a lil tad above.

Mike

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane706

nope, you're not missing anything and more than likely right. It probably will stick a little so what I do in this case is sprinkle some powdered sugar on the surface where you will be placing the "belly". If the belly is heavy, you may want to use dowel rods in the lower tier. HTH!
Happy caking! icon_biggrin.gif

that is what I did for my cap on my baseball cake I had cut my board for the cap and put bubble tea straws in the cake and put ps where the cap went and the icing hardly any came up with the cap when it was removed. HTH

cserwa Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 8

Thanks to all!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:35am
post #7 of 8

If you don't have any supports, you could also use Saran Wrap between the belly board and sheet cake. (The only thing Saran Wrap sticks to is itself. icon_rolleyes.gif ) Wrap it around the bottom of the board so that it ends in the middle of the top (before you put the belly cake on it) so that it's tucked up nice and tight. If the board is bigger than the belly cake, you can decorate/ice over it so the wrap doesn't show.

OR

Use 2 boards - one covered as above (taped into place), and then the one the cake goes on. That way, you won't be cutting into the Saran Wrap later.

Make sure you post a pic!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 8

You can do several things to keep the icing from "sticking" to the upper board - you can use powdered sugar, coconut, or my favorite shaved white chocolate! Just sprinkle it on where the next tier is going to be settting. (you can also use a parchment round there too - instead of sprinkling something)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%