What Kind Of Cake Mix Do You Use...

Decorating By skippy Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 10:08am by ShellsSweetsIndy

skippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skippy Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 19

Just wondering I love duncan hines but the price just keeps rising. Has anyone ever tried off brand cake mix. If so what kind works the best for you. I'm kinda wanting to save money without messing up my cakes.

18 replies
kpry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpry Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 19

I use whatever is on sale, even store brand. Sometimes I mix different brands together with great results.

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 19

I personally love the betty crocker with the doctored recipe...and I always buy mine at either food-4-less, where you can usually find them on sale for around a dollar or at Wal-Mart

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 19

I only use Duncan Hines.

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #5 of 19

I also only use Duncan Hines. Works well for me. I usually use a form of WASC, and adjust for different flavors. Hope this helps.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #6 of 19

#1 betty crocker Best
#2 duncan hines
#3 Aldi brand
Desperate pillsbury (I am allway disapointed when it comes out)
When it comes to cooking oil.
I use Dellalo I swear by it. It makes the moistest cake.

But,thats just my opinion. I sure everyone has thier favs.
I think its more of your style.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #7 of 19

I have tried Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines and Pillsbury and Betty Crocker is my favorite by far. I also always use a WASC variation with mixes.

Angfastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angfastic Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:17am
post #8 of 19

Right now I'm using Duncan Hines. I stacked up when Target had it for 96 cents with a 50 cent off coupon. Betty Crocker is really good when making WASC. I used pilsbury once when I made the WASC and it wasn't as good. So Duncan Hines and BC are my favorites. I must have DH swiss mocha for german chocolate.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:28am
post #9 of 19

My favorite and the best by far is Pillsbury...I won't use anything else. I get it at WalMart for 88 cents, everyday price icon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:30am
post #10 of 19

i use what ever is the cheapest. my wal mart no longer carries the great value brand mixes anymore or i would be getting those. cheap/discount/SALES RACK!!! clearance..you name it i hit it up first stop in the store. i could squeeze a quarter outta a penny if i needed to. lol. but anyhoo, any brand works for me. icon_cool.gif

ShellsSweetsIndy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:06am
post #11 of 19

I use Duncan Hines. And instead of using water and oil I replace it with 1 cup of whole milk and still add the eggs. This makes for a firmer cake but still moist. If you are using chocolate cake, use whole chocolate milk it is soooo yummy.

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:46am
post #12 of 19

Ok I saw some people were using pillsbury so I gave it a whirl. Doing a pillow cake for a 4 yrld bday and it did not rise at alll. Not sure what I did wrong. I see previous posts about a doctored recipe. Can anyone tell me what that is? The way my teacher told us to use cake mixes is to sub the water and oil with one cup of whole milk and that has worked great in the DH mixes but used PB funfettie and it is like pound cake. Help.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:41am
post #13 of 19

I have never heard of the sub milk for water and oil method. I would not leave out the oil. Cakes need fat in them. The small amount of fat in whole milk is not enough to sub for the oil.

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 19

It works really well with the DH. Gives you a bit firmer cake if you are trying to carve it.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #15 of 19

You will need firmer cake to carve ShellsSweetsIndy. Good luck with the pillow cake! Oh and to answer the original question. I use a doctored Duncan Hines mix. I have tried BC (it is on sale more often around here) but i find DH is worth the money.

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #16 of 19

I usually bake from scratch, but lately have been using the WASC recipe. Although Duncan Hines is recommended, I have used the Aldi's brand cake mix ($0.89 everyday price) with great results.

When I did a decorating class for kids over the summer, I used the Aldi's brand mix following package directions. I wanted a quick cake that the kids could make with minimal assistance, and was in danger of going over the amount my boss had budgeted for supplies. I couldn't believe how good the Aldi's mix (both yellow and chocolate) was, especially considering the price.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #17 of 19

I have from time to time used Pillsbury (yuck!); DH (ok) but my all time favorite is/has been BC.
Check out my *original* WASC cake recipe (in the recipe section).
You will see I do NOT use oil - haven't for some 20 yrs. Even if I don't make the WASC recipe - just a straight cake - I do not use butter or oil and only 2 eggs per mix. It produces are great, moist wonderful cake when it's baked at low(er) temps.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:44pm
post #18 of 19

Whatever is on sale...
You guys have some fabulous prices...my local grocery store has cake mixes for $1.97 on sale...$2.50 regularly.

Recipe for doctored cm:

2 boxes cm
1 box any flav instant pudding
1 box any falv cooked pudding
1 envelope dream whip

Dump 'er all in the mixer.
Start mixing on low speed.

Add 2 1/4c water
1 cup oil - cheapest again! Generally vegetable
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
8 eggs

Mix at medium speed for 4-6 minutes
Bake 350* - depending on cake size pans, and check after 20 minutes.

All those eggs kill me $$$, but yum it is good cake icon_smile.gif

Compliments to whomever/wherever I found that recipe...a looooong time ago icon_biggrin.gif

I am going to try yours, kakeladi ! Thanks for the tip!! icon_smile.gif

ShellsSweetsIndy Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 10:08am
post #19 of 19

Ok putting together the pillow cake with the PB mix was a pain. Kept falling apart after defrosting. Did the best I could with it, the Mom was pretty happy with it. posted pix. I think I will stick with DH and try the doctored recipe. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%