Anyone Used Silver Spoon Ready To Roll Icing When Decorating

Decorating By bethangradford Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm by slush

bethangradford Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 5

Iv'e bought silverspoon ready to roll icing, when i usually use regal ice.
Does the silver spoon icing make good figures?.....colour well with coloured paste?.........can it be made into a gumpaste by adding gum tragacanth/tylose/cmc etc?............there is also Super Cook ready to roll icing......same questions apply!! icon_biggrin.gif I'm from the UK so if anyone knows of a cheap icing wholesaler i'd love to know too!

any help greatly appreciated!

thankoo
x

4 replies
jdconcc Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 5

Hiya

I've not used Silver spoon but supercook is just the same as Regal ice for all of the above, I think the cheapest is Tesco's own make it's £1 for 500g. Tesco's works great with cmc I use it for my models. HTH

bethangradford Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 5

that's great thanks for your help, i'll have a look in tesco definatly! how much cmc do you add to the icing to make it like a gumpaste??

icon_biggrin.gif

jdconcc Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 5

Hi

I am so sorry for not replying sooner, you will need about 1 teaspoon to about 250g icing. It's a bit vague as I'm afraid I do it all by sight, you end up getting a feel for what works best. For making flowers and letters or anything where you need to roll it really thin add a bit more and make sure you knead it till it snaps like chewing gum. HTH and sorry again for the delay

slush Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 5

Hi, just noticed the thread,
I have used silverspoon - found that it was softer than the regalice so streched and ended up with patches of elephant skin. Also after I used it most people who tasted it said they prefered the taste of the regalice.
tesco have the regalice on offer at the moment.
you can get it wholesale from sugarshack.co.uk but I don't know that it works out that much cheaper and you have to buy large amounts.
hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%