Italian Meringue Buttercream - Loads Of Questions! Lol

Decorating By mavreader Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm by LaBellaFlor

mavreader Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, well I think I going to try IMBC...i think thats the acronym...and I'm going to use mary-ann's recipe. Okay, i'm going to list my questions...
1) Does it taste good?
2) Does it crust?
3) Does it melt in your hands?
4) Is it easy to work with (in terms of changing consistencies)?
5) Can you pipe flowers with it (like roses)?
6) Can it be put under fondant?
7) What are the disadvantages to using this type of buttercream?

Thank you all in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
stsapph Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 5

I usually use SMBC, but they are practically the same. Yes! It tastes amazing, and can hold a lot of flavor. No, it will not crust. It will soften in your hands, so be careful if you have to pipe a lot. You can make up multiple bags and switch between to lessen the softening. I know with SMBC, you can pipe flowers, you just have to be patient with it. I have used SMBC under fondant before. You just want to refrigerate the iced cake first so the the icing will harden before applying the fondant. The heat from your hands will warm the icing enough to stick to the fondant as you smooth it over. This time of year, there aren't too many disadvantages of using IMBC or SMBC. The biggest complaint is that it can taste like butter if you don't use enough flavoring. I usually use about 1/4 cup of flavoring when I make a batch, but just experiment and find what tastes good to you. The only other problem is that it doesn't hold up too well in high heat, so I wouldn't recommend use during the summer if it's going to be outside. Hopefully someone who uses IMBC can help with some answers as well, but from what I understand, the two are practically the same other than the process of how it's made. HTH!

stampinron Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

No it tastes like crap, that's why alot of people use it.

Mike

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gifthumbsdown.gif

prterrell Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

1) Does it taste good?

Taste is subjective. I personally have never met anyone who didn't like it (this is the primary icing I use), but I have seen posts on here from people who had made it and did not care for it.

Quote:
Quote:

2) Does it crust?

No

Quote:
Quote:

If you hold it long enough and you don't have naturally cold hands it will get soft.

Quote:
Quote:

I find it very easy to work with, in part because you don't have to change the consistency. I use the same consistency to ice, pipe fine details, and pipe flowers.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
Quote:

If it is hot outside and the cake is going to be outside for a long time, the icing with get very soft and depending on how the decorations are done, they may sag.
If you are doing a technique that relies on crusted buttercream, that technique will not work with this (or SMBC or French BC).

LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavreader

Ok, well I think I going to try IMBC...i think thats the acronym...and I'm going to use mary-ann's recipe. Okay, i'm going to list my questions...
1) Does it taste good?
2) Does it crust?

Thank you all in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

No it tastes like crap, that's why alot of people use it.

Mike

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%