Need Help Quick -How Can I Make My Fondant Figures Stand Up?

Decorating By KristinAnn Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm by CristyInMiami

KristinAnn Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:33am
post #1 of 7

I made fondant figures of Batman and Robin for my sons' birthday cake (party is 3:30 today). They were standing up straight at first, but now keep toppling over. I have a toothpick in one of their legs, but I put it in the leg before I attached the foot. ((smacking head)). After I attached the feet is when they started falling over. So I think there is not enough toothpick sticking out to hold them up.

Right now, they're propped up against something, but there's no place to prop them on the cake. They really need to stand on the top. How can I make them stand up? Take the toothpick out and insert something longer? I was thinking of filling one of those flower picks with fondant and putting that in the cake, then sticking the toothpick into that so it would have something stronger than cake to hold it.

Any ideas? Is there a better way?

Thanks so much!

6 replies
cad1951 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 7

are your figures dry yet or can you stick something else in them to make them stand up? if they are not dry yet, you can stick a piece of dry spaghetti into the legs with enough sticking out the feet to stick into the cake. i do this with my rolled buttercream figures. you can also like make a block looking like a building or something to go with your theme that you can place beside or behind them, so they can help prop them up on top of your cake. hope this helps.

Malakin Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 7

I'm with cad1951 on if you need to, improvise and make a structure.
I also, depending on the size of the figure I'm doing, use wooden food skewers and not toothpicks. The toothpicks are never big enough for what I make.
I have also switched over to modeling chocolate as this pretty much when cool, stands on it's own.

msulli10 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 7

I always make mine well in advance so they dry. It's such a pain so I've started making my figures out of rice krispy treats. They are much lighter so they don't topple over.

Price Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 7

Are you planning to have both figures standing on top of your cake? If so, and your figures are not too off balance, you could attach them with some edible glue to a cake cardboard covered in fondant, and place that on top of the cake and just put an edging around the board. You would have to use something to prop them up straight until the glue dries.

If I am making a figure that will be standing, I normally put spagetti or toothpicks in both legs. It's nice to put your figures on boards. Then when it's time to cut the cake, the board can be removed and the figures can be saved.

KristinAnn Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate the replies.

Unfortunately, the legs are too dry for me to get a skewer or piece of spaghetti in them. And I can't pull the too short toothpick out. Maybe I can hide some sort of support under their capes.

CristyInMiami Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 7

Try "gluing" themwith some melted chocoalte.

This weeked I had to to place a Minnie Mouse on top of the cake. Unfortunately, they made her on her tippy toes so she didnt have great balance and kept falling off. What I did was dip the flat tip of the skewer in melted chocolate (good amount) and let it dry really hard and then I inserted. I had no problems with it falling and I had to transport the cake.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%