Things I Have Discovered With My Latest Cake

Decorating By gloria Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm by online_annie

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:06am
post #1 of 5

I tried ganache and white chocolate ganache for the first time.

- I will really watch and make sure the chocolate is COMPLETELY melted next time.
- Ganache is so much better than buttercream (tastes good too)
- I was told to spritz the ganache (used spreadable) with water before applying the fondant - forgot on the 2nd tier but remembered on the 3rd.
- the spritz made the fondant so sticky it was hard to apply
- placing the fondant over the 2nd tier worked out fine.
- The first tier I used an edible image - I did not like using this - maybe because my cake is not the type that is straight up and down on the sides (intentional).
- I loved using the diamond imprinter
- The crimper is hard to use! Good thing I practiced first.

I will post a pic soon.

4 replies
gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:13am
post #2 of 5

Oh, and one more thing - for the first time I got air pockets in the fondant.

I know I got them because I "over manipulated" the fondant. I rolled it out a couple-three times.

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:01am
post #3 of 5

Don't you just love learning? I've not used ganache yet, but I too love the mats. I only seem to get those bubbles in mmf. Never knew about the over working theory!

Congrats on using all those new techniques.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:17am
post #4 of 5

I love Learning steps like this, I like to write them down, so then on my next cake, i can look back at any mistakes or issues i may have encountered, and if i saw a way to work round it etc. Its really come in handy at some crunch times icon_smile.gif

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 5

I often find myself taking notes like a scientist! People question what I'm doing...I keep a notebook by my workspace and often jot ideas down. Could be a solution to a problem or a way that I felt was easier when working with something new. Tweeking a recipe. It also helps with pricing work with certain techniques as I often write the time it takes. I can refer back to the book and "remember" if I said...NEVER AGAIN or Next I would....

Can't wait to see your pic! Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%