I Need Help Now

Decorating By laurs_1981 Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 11:48pm by laurs_1981

laurs_1981 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 13

OMG...i'm literally in tears....i making a cake for tomorrow and my MMF keeps cracking and tearing every time i put it on....i keep re-rolling, but it's getting dryer and dryer or something.....i dont' have time to make a new batch and i'm so disappointed....i've been planning this cake for ages....i'm still new at this and i don't know what to do...and now my cake "inards" are starting to seep out cause my crumb coat is falling off....all the stores are closed so i can't even go buy ingredients to make more....i'm so frustrated!!

12 replies
jammjenks Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 13

Knead in Crisco and see if that helps. Microwaving it for about 8 secs helps it to be more plyable too.

Kandy4283 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #3 of 13

I cannot help with the MMF part of it....I have attempted it and it has failed everytime for me, I am sorry! But I can tell you that I have been in tears several times over cakes and my advice to you is to step away for awhile, take a break, do something else for awhile and then go back to it! Good Luck! It will all turn out in the end!!!! Stay strong!

Kitagrl Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 13

I'd put on another coat of buttercream and then refrigerate to firm up while you try to soften up the fondant...then try again.

Lenette Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #5 of 13

Sorry, I don't know any other suggestions besides those in the previous post. I just wanted to send you a big hug! I've been there.

Hope it all works out in the end! icon_smile.gif

DetailsByDawn Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:27am
post #6 of 13

Oh honey! You poor thing! Def microwave it - 8-10 secs, then plop onto a flat surface lightly dusted wth cornstarch or greased with shortening. Start kneading by folding the outer edges into the centre - the centre will be HOT and melty. Be careful not to burn yourself. Keep kneading until you get the right texture. If you feel like it's still too dry, a sprinkle of water usually brings it back to the almost sticky stage. Once your there, you can add some cornstarch or ps or shortening until your happy with the texture. Don't give up - a batch of MMF can always be fixed. Good luck and let us know how it all turned out!

laurs_1981 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 13

thank you all for your words of encouragement....i packed it all up last night and went to bed....i'm feeling refreshed now and i'm going to tackle it again...fingers crossed!!!!....thanks for the advice and the hugs....i really needed the boost...

TheBlonde Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurs_1981

thank you all for your words of encouragement....i packed it all up last night and went to bed....i'm feeling refreshed now and i'm going to tackle it again...fingers crossed!!!!....thanks for the advice and the hugs....i really needed the boost...

That is the best thing to do when you're having issues with a cake. Just step away and start fresh. Good luck today! Let us know how it turns out

laurs_1981 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 13

ok.....it's DONE...i quit that cake.....it looks terrible, but i wasn't going to let it win!!!....here's the final results....i'm disappointed...but it's only my 4th cake...so i guess i should just chalk it up to inexperience!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1492713.html thanks again for all of your encouragement everyone icon_smile.gif...i meant the world to me

Lovemesomecake Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

Oh wow!!! You're being TOO hard on yourself! It doesn't look terrible at all. Nice save!! icon_smile.gif You should be proud.

Ladyfett Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 13

ok, so I clicked on the picture expecting something much different than what I was. It looks wonderful! Especially since this is only your 4th cake. I didn't see any cracks.

I had the same problem with my son's birthday cake last year, and finally decided that the cracks were ok, because it was dirt. Head up, you did wonderfully! Keep working it will only get better as you do more! thumbs_up.gif

Echooo3 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 13

Oh my gosh laurs_1981, you are way too hard on yourself. That cake looks great and your should be proud, have you seen the decorated cakes in the grocery stores - p-l-e-e-s-e, now they are pathetic.

Good job and best wishes to many more successful cakes!!

Hugs

laurs_1981 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 13

hahahha....pictures do wonders!!...and you know how they say there's always a front...well this one ONLY had a front...the sides and back were horrible hahahah...but she loved it....and it tasted good so i guess i'll keep going haha...thanks again for all of the positive feedback everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%