My God. Ccer's I Take My Hat Off To You..

Lounge By three_sets_of_twins Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm by SugaredUp

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 21

Ok it's 4 am.
Im going on like 3 hours of sleep I had 2 days ago.
How do you ladies do this? Ive finally experiened what ive read about in so many of your posts.
I got an order for a dessert catering thing for an office party, there will be a buffet and im to supply the desserts. the person in charge ordered 2 dozen of 4 different kinds of cookies, and 7 cupcake bouquets.
Now ive made cupcake bouquets but not 7 on the same day. What the hell was I thinking??
Hubby couldnt take me to the grocery store sooner or else I would have done all the baking and prep on a previous day. But I had to do EVERYTHING today! ughhhhh.
This morning I had an order for 5 dozen cookies.
took up my whole morning. Then I dropped a dozen of them and had to make them again.
Then I pick up my kids from school, come home, start the bouquets. I started at about 3 pm and finished at 1 am and just stopped to eat lunch. By the time I got to my 4th bouquet my right hand was killing me!! It was sooo sore I couldnt even squeeze the bag anymore. I couldnt even hold on to things and started knocking stuff over and even broke my glass. I spent hardly any time with my kids today and had to do most of the work with them fighting and crying in the background. I put the kids to sleep, finish up the bouquets. Then. Crap. I still have to package them. so theres another 45 minutes. Then wait, how to I box them? ughhh. And I hadnt even started the cookies!!!
Now im on my final batch and waiting for them to come out of the oven. The woman is picking them up at 6 am so now im on here just trying to stay awake cos I know if I fall asleep I wont hear my phone ring.
Hubby is also mad at me for being in the kitchen all day and he has to deal with the little ones. He has work tomorrow and the little ones woke up a couple hours ago and wanted to play. I got scolded for still playing with my cakes and he had to put them to bed, even though I offered to do it. (not very supportive about my business) Ive left him some of his favorite cookie next to his wallet so when he wakes up he sees them and hopefully that will bring back the peace...
I dont know why i took this order. Did I think I was superwoman? I think what happened was as she was speaking all I heard was ka-ching! Now I can pay my phone bill....ka-ching now I can fix the toilet... instead of all the work that goes into this stuff. I wish my husband would lighten up Im onl doing this to help him.
Anyway ladies, Ive finally experienced it. Staying up all night, not sleeping, workinf gor 2 days straight...just to get my cupcake bouquet, well cupcake GARDEN, ready for my customer pick up.
What makes me want to cry is in a couple hours my three year olds are going to wake up. I want to sleep icon_sad.gif
Sorry about any typos I can barely keep my eyes open and I still have cookies to make and package and business cards to cut out....
Again, my hat goes off to you ladies. You must have the patience of Jobe.

20 replies
sadsmile Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #2 of 21

COFFEE, TEA, SODA , PROTEIN... until the calvery comes. And you do have to call the calvery! Even if it's Grandma or a good friend or a baby sitter just to come and help out and hold the fort down if you fall asleep-which you do need a nap. That is one huge order! Holy cow!

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 21

Sadly we're stationed in the middle east and there is no calvery!
Im thinking of calling a baby sitter and just go to my room and sleep! And then theres the mommy guilt of if I worked all day yesterday and slept all day today my 3 yr olds would have not seen me for 2 days!
ughh Ill call the sitter and sleep on the couch at least they can see me sleep. I need to buy some red bull or something for stufflike this my coffee just aint cutting it!

tastyart Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 21

After reading your post I feel for you. I've taken on cakes that kept me up until 3am and that was plenty. My hubby gets irritated that I spend that kind of time and don't even get paid. Its usually for a friend who is having a birthday party for their kid. When it is all over you can take a well deserved nap for several hours. My prayers are with you.

catlharper Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 21

Been there, done that, wish I could say I'd never do it again but I know I will. I think the money is part of it but I'm still new at doing this for money that I'm just so damned flattered that they would want me to do the cake for them that I just can't say no!

Hope you got some rest today!

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:55am
post #6 of 21

thanks guys. I need the reminders that Im not alone and other bakers out there are doing the same thing! LOL

nannie Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:03am
post #7 of 21

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:10am
post #8 of 21

stay awake stay awake stay awake

(((((hugs)))) thank you

ugh I have a birthday party to cater tuesday and a baby shower on friday. the birthday is no big deal but the babyshower order is going to be time consuming. And my youngests have their birthday on wed. I am so exausted I ordered them a cake and decorated cookies from another home baker I know. Oh well at least im putting the goodie bags together.
God I wish I could do a better job savng up this money! But bills bills bills. I have a few thousand saved but I could have and should have saved more.
Ok now ranting from sleep deprivation ignore this.

SucreSucre Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:20am
post #9 of 21

All I can say is GREAT JOB!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif I've been in the same situation. Huge orders, kids, and very little support on the home front. I think that it is a common misconception that people who decorate, especially from home, are just goofing around.
After it's all over, sit down take a deep breath and exhale. You should feel a sense of accomplishment and empowerment. You did it!! You made it happen despite all the hurdles. Always remember that no one else is going to realize your dream the way you do, and that's ok. Sometime's you have to encourage yourself, and truly appreciate and celebrate your accomplishments.
And most of all, KEEP CAKING!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #10 of 21

Hey there three sets - get the sitter and get some sleep! You're no good to anyone if you're so tired you're completely out of it. You've worked HARD getting this order finished and you need some rest. When you get your wits back, offer to take hubby out to a movie or dinner to make up for the lost weekend. He'll forgive you!

Just remember - we're here for you! Go to Youtube and crank up the computer volume for this video:

Ignore the video - just get into the music - it'll perk you right up and get you up on your feet long enough to get that order finished.

Go girl!!!!

PS - Here's another one to get you groovin'!

PinkLisa Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #11 of 21

You cannot do it all. You really put too much on your plate. I have three children 7,5, and 4. I plan to wait on my business until my youngest gets into Kindergarten next year. You will be proud of all you hard work once you get some sleep.

aquamom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #12 of 21

My heart goes out to you. It's too bad your husband doesn't seem to appreciate all that you do. It's really challenging to have small ones and to accomplish what you accomplished.

Hope you found a sitter and got some rest. Take care of yourself.

Win Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #13 of 21

...and I know from previous posts that you truly have threesetsoftwins so you are exhausted to start with! BUT, look at what you have accomplished! I read your post and thought to myself, "I could not come close to accomplishing all that in a single day!" Chin up, pat yourself on the back and use today as a life lesson. See if you can keep your eyes open until it's nap time for the 3 yos, and then crash when they do. Even if all you get is an hour, it will get you through until you can hit the sack for a long deserved rest!

God bless you and keep you!

suzylynn58 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #14 of 21

I hear you, I really overextended myself this weekend. Had a wedding plus several more labor intensive cakes. If my mom hadn't helped, I dont know what I would have done.

I guess we just need to learn when we are booked up and how to say enough. (But it is hard! LOL!)

SugaredUp Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #15 of 21

Three Sets,

First - stop feeling guilty. You took the orders because you wanted to pay bills, not because you wanted new shoes! You are doing this for them. I'm assuming you are a SAHM. Think of it like this, if you worked a full time job, you'd see your kids even less. Be grateful for the ability to be home with them - even if once in a while you're working.

Second - your DH is just tired, too. He worked all day and the kids were probably extra whiny because they wanted YOU and not him. I know how that goes!

Just be proud you got it all done! Really, I'm not sure I could've done all that. I have 3 myself, and the oldest is 4 y.o. It's tough!!!

Believe it or not, once she picks up her order, you will feel a lot less tired. You will be so happy to be done and proud you did it, you'll be on an adrenaline rush! That's happened to me before too. After no sleep - can't sleep even when I want to!

Good luck!

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:35am
post #16 of 21

Thank you everyone. no wonder im addicted to this forum, yall are great! so supportive and also so honest.
Well she is on her way and the nervousness of what goes through most of our heads "omg what if she hates it omg" has woken me up. I think I will be much more relaxed once its all over. Now that everything is packaged and waiting at the door I feel a lot better. I DID IT!
Oh god never again though.
I wasnt thinking straight and had on my calendar "sat- 5 dozen cookies, sunday- cupcake bouquets and cookies" Not keeping in mind that she was coming sunday at 6 am and that meant Im not going to be working sunday but saturday.

Yes im a stay at home mom. Thank you for the youtube links LOLL. And thank you sugared up you did make me feel less guilty.

Yes hubby was tired im sure. But to be honest...hes not the most supportive when it comes to my home baking. I dont know why...Well..I think it upsets him id rather put the majority of my profits in a savings account vs helping himout MORE withthe bills. The thing is though, he makes good money but is not responsible with it at all... icon_sad.gif

Well after she picks it up ill come back and post her reaction. fingers and toes crossed. I had to make some slight changes I told her about over the phone but she sounded fine with them. It's funny no matter how many satisfied customers you get youre always get the "what if they hate it" worries!

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:39am
post #17 of 21

she loved them yay! Nap time!

sadsmile Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm
post #18 of 21

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Sweet dreams!!!

aquamom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:49pm
post #19 of 21

You did well. Good for you for taking care of your family. Sleep well icon_smile.gif.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #20 of 21

just to update! That huge order landed me a wedding order! YAY! she either wants cupcake bouquets for centerpieces or my cake ball topiaries!

SugaredUp Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #21 of 21

Yay! Let the work begin!

Quote by @%username% on %date%