Christmas "festival Of Trees"..

Decorating By CBMom Updated 15 Nov 2009 , 6:52am by CakeRN

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 13

Maybe this belongs in cake ideas...please move if need be..

Anyway...every year our little community holds a Festival of Trees, towards the end of November.

Local businesses, and individuals can enter a decorated tree, everyone comes, there's a craft fair, Breakfast with Santa, whole deal.

It's lovely.

Not every entry is a "tree". Like, one year, the local tire dealership entered a pile of tires, strung with lights.

So, I'm thinkin'... cake??

Beyond the get a tree, make some RI ornaments to hang, general idea, any thoughts on what I could do cake wise?

Something tall, something fun...and something I can get my kids involved with...and maybe drum up some cake business tooicon_wink.gif

It coud be set on a table, so tall all on its own isn't a complete necessity...but I do want "wow!"

Any thoughts,link suggestions, whatever...much appreciated!

12 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 13

What about making a cookie Christmas tree? I have one in my photos if you don't know what I mean. For the one I made I used a set of 8 graduated star cutters, I think it was 8. But if you want to make a bigger version you could perhaps use star templates and do really big stars. If you want a jumbo version you could make the stars out of RCT, that would give each "cookie" a bit more height which would make the overall tree taller.

Or just a very tall tiered cake decorated like a Christmas tree would be nice too.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 13

A giant cupcake tree could open up the imagination for all kinds of fun. A giant cookie star on top, the outter row of cupcakes on each level turned on it's side maybe with ornaments on them. You could use mini led lights since they don't give off any heat. Or cookie ornaments hanging from the plates on each tier. Fondant Snowflakes on wires, falling down all around them. Oh, I wish we had that here, I'd be starting now.

Can I come and work on this with you???? oh please..........

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Can I come and work on this with you???? oh please..........

I wanna help too!

You could get several foam core boards graduated sizes. Place ribbon on the edges. separate the boards with a styro block or ring. Cover the styro in something festive. Basically a cuppie tower. You can then add all kinds of treats, as layer of fudge, divinity, cupcakes, candies, all up the tower. Make mini cookies and place a small hole in them, bake, decorate and add the ribbon for a loop to decorate your tree. I would make little petite fours for the bottom tor resemble packages. It would be a tree, you could highlight all your products, your children could help with various items and you will make it a vison for all to see. Let me know when we get started!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 13

This is the first project I've been this excited about in a long time, and I'm not even there..... LOL
I think your kids are going to be throwing out all us posters when we show up at your house to help. lol

CBMom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 13

Oooo - oooo- and oooooo!!!

It all sounds wonderful!!
Beautiful inspiration, BakingGirl!

AND!!!
Then, at the end, I could donate the yummies from the tree for an auction!
The Festival donates all proceeds to our local community foodbank.

My guest rooms are ready, let me know when you're all arriving!!

Now I'm excited too!
icon_biggrin.gif

CBMom Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:53am
post #7 of 13

OK...

So chatting with DH about "our fabulous CC" Christmas ideas...

The pharmacy he works at is putting in a tree, and the store decorating theme for this year is "Happy HollyDays"

The tree would come back to the store as part of the store's Christmas decorations.

So...what if we did a cake/christmas tree combo?
Christmas tree, bottom tier of branches, large tier of fondant covered dummy decorated with holly...next tier of artifical branches, next size down fondant dummy, etc, etc....

Hanging from the tree branches, are more RI holly decorations..

Under the tree, cello wrapped bags of petit four "gifts", cello wrapped fudgies, cake balls, and holly cookies.

Kids and staff can help with all of that!

I'll run it all by the store manager tomorrow, and let you know icon_smile.gif

...I'm thinking to get the cake boards onto the tree means we have to cut the tree "trunk", and use the same method with the Wilton tall tier stand idea.....with the plastic center pole and the nuts that tighten it all together...

OH!
What if we put the whole thing on a revolving tree stand???

Heehee!

..."it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...!!" icon_biggrin.gif

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:45am
post #8 of 13

WOW - sounds like a lot of fun!! I can't wait to hear about final plans and the outcome!!! I may come help with jlynn, lol

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 2:52am
post #9 of 13

see favs, our first road trip and you haven't even moved in yet! Has Mel planned a road trip? With a fun project? To help a fellow CCer? I think not!

OP, in a wilton year book, they took that center tier stand and made a tree. I am so thinking about the challenge on FN with cake then cuppies inbetween. I so can see this as tree, break into goodies, tree, goodies, all with a holly theme. I just can't upload the pic from my head! icon_cry.gificon_confused.gif

CBMom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

see favs, our first road trip and you haven't even moved in yet! Has Mel planned a road trip? With a fun project? To help a fellow CCer? I think not!

OP, in a wilton year book, they took that center tier stand and made a tree. I am so thinking about the challenge on FN with cake then cuppies inbetween. I so can see this as tree, break into goodies, tree, goodies, all with a holly theme. I just can't upload the pic from my head! icon_cry.gificon_confused.gif

Exactly!!

Under the tree - goodies
Then Tree, with the RI decoration
Then goodies, with holly theme
Then tree, more RI
More goodies, holly theme
Last bit of Tree,THEN...
Big holly theme topper...wire and sparklies out of the top!

Tada!!
We win! "Happy HollyDays!!"

LOL!

So, who's up for a road trip!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Next year's theme..I want to do snowflakes...hahah!

So fun icon_smile.gif

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 13

Oooh I stumbled upon this thread looking for a 'how to make your own cake drum' search. Once I started reading I couldn't stop. You all have me excited now for christmas!!!!! I would love to see pictures when it's all done! And thank you all for the great ideas, I've been trying to figure out a way for my daughter to help with the goodies this year!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Nov 2009 , 1:44am
post #12 of 13

O.k. I have my bag(s) packed - I'm ready to help on this *wonderful* project. ONly one problem........Where am I going?

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 6:52am
post #13 of 13

how about a topsy turvy type tree cake to make it look like something out of Whoville? You could string it with fondant lights or even do suckers for the lights. Cookie ornaments would be good too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%