Trouble!! Help Quick...

Decorating By karateka Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm by sadsmile

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 5

I poured ganache on a cake so it would drip down the sides. All 3 tiers are assembled, ready to go in the box and be delivered, leave in 1.5 hours.

Now I look at the damn thing and the ganache has cracked! Not all over, but there isn't a "front" of the cake anymore. Each of the bottom tiers has minor cracks in the smooth ganache finish.

How do I fix this? I do NOT have time to re-do the whole cake. and what if it cracks more on the way?

Kinda freaking out. This hasn't happened to me before!

4 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 5

i'm not sure but i wonder if you hit it with a hair dryer, if you could melt the ganache a bit with out damaging the cake underneath

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 5

I'm just a newbie, and this idea may be all wet, but could you possibly melt a little chocolate or some cocoa and cream (if you have those ingredients) and make a paste to fill the crack with and smooth ever so lightly with a piece of wax paper sprayed with non-stick spray. Oh and pray it doesn't crack anymore. How awful for you. I'm so sorry I don't have experience in this area yet to help you out.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 5

I was thinking of a food torch or a candlelighter that you could use to heat it up along the cracks, the hairdryer is the same kind of idea, so heat might be the right way to go!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 5

What is the cake on? If your cake board can flex at all it will happen again. I would make sure to put it onto something that is rigid like Masonite or wood or glass for transport. With a no-slip mat of coarse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%