Homemade Frosting

Decorating By justbyangela Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 5:11am by akgirl10

justbyangela Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 14

How far in advance can buttercream frosting be made? Fondant? Do they need to be refrigerated or put in the freezer? The party is next Saturday and I have already made the cake layers.

13 replies
tigerhawk83 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 14

I don't know much about fondant - but I do know that you can make buttercream well in advance and freeze it - maybe for months. I made up 3 double batches and froze it for at least 2 weeks before doing several large anniversary cakes and it was fine - in fact the remainder is still in the freezer with no problems. I thawed it on the counter for a couple of hours and it was perfect. Many folks on this site will even say you can leave it out on the counter for several days without difficulty. You can easily store it in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

CBMom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 14

You can make your fondant now, color and texture improve if it can rest at least overnight before you use it.

Actually, if you're using MMF, it should rest overnight anyway.

Rub some crisco on the outside of the ball, wrap it well in saran, put in an airtight container...and never ever fridge or freeze.

If its a little dry, when you need to use it, warm it in the microwave for a few seconds, until its pliable again. Be careful of hot spots in the middle though!!

Have fun!!

justbyangela Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 14

Thank you so much! A few more questions... After I crumb coat is it ok to put the cakes in the fridge for a few days before frosting? How long will they then last in the fridge? Is it normal to put butter cream frosting in between the layers?

Horselady Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 14

I wouldn't crumb coat then put in fridge unless you're sure you a) aren't saving any leftovers and b) your fridge really really doesn't have a smell.

It is my experience that both butter and ps absorb odors/flavors.

akgirl10 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 14

I agree with horselady. You can eve crumb coat it and freeze again if you'd like, but keep it out of the fridge till the end.

And if you don't have any perishable fillings, the cake can stay on the counter once it's iced.

justbyangela Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 14

That makes sense. So how do I go about it then? Isn't the crumb coat supposed to sit for a while? If so for how long? In or out of the fridge? Also when I am done frosting where do I set the cake until the party? In the refrigerator?

akgirl10 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:07am
post #8 of 14

I like my crumb coat to dry out and crust a bit. Are you using a crusting buttercream? If so, just crumb coat, let sit for 20 minutes or so and ice.

If there's no perishable fillings, the cake can sit out at the party, the icing will keep the cake from drying out. Plus, if you use butter in your icing or cake, I think the texture is better at room temp.

justbyangela Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 14

how long can fondant remain out on the counter after coloring?

akgirl10 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #10 of 14

Wrapped up in plastic wrap and a ziploc bag, fondant will last forever on the counter. Just be sure to seal it well, and get all of the air out.

If you mean fondant on a cake, it will dry out a bit once you cover the cake, which is good, you don't want sticky fondant. I would have no problem covering a cake on Thursday for Saturday.

I just noticed your name is Angela, me tooicon_smile.gif.

justbyangela Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

Wrapped up in plastic wrap and a ziploc bag, fondant will last forever on the counter. Just be sure to seal it well, and get all of the air out.

If you mean fondant on a cake, it will dry out a bit once you cover the cake, which is good, you don't want sticky fondant. I would have no problem covering a cake on Thursday for Saturday.

I just noticed your name is Angela, me tooicon_smile.gif.

Ok so when should I crumb coat and when should I do the icing? I am covering with butter cream. I am only using fondant for the decorations.
Angela is an awesome name! icon_smile.gif

akgirl10 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:14am
post #12 of 14

Depends on how much time you'll need, and when that amount of time is available to you. Usually I do crumb coat, and ice on one day, then decorate the next day. If your party is early Saturday, I'd probably ice on Thursday. If you've got time on Saturday, then ice on Friday.

What kind of fondant decorations are you using? I like to do cut outs eary so they're all ready to decorate at once. Plus, sometimes it's easier for me to handle if the decorations are a little dry.

justbyangela Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:22am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

Depends on how much time you'll need, and when that amount of time is available to you. Usually I do crumb coat, and ice on one day, then decorate the next day. If your party is early Saturday, I'd probably ice on Thursday. If you've got time on Saturday, then ice on Friday.

What kind of fondant decorations are you using? I like to do cut outs eary so they're all ready to decorate at once. Plus, sometimes it's easier for me to handle if the decorations are a little dry.

They are just black circles (for lady bug spots) and black stripes (for bumble bee stripes). So I should prepare them early? I have already died the fondant and it's wrapped and put away.

Also, how long after I crumb coat should I wait for frost? After I crumb coat should I put the cakes in the refrigerator or leave them out?

akgirl10 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:11am
post #14 of 14

You probably don't need to do them ahead of time, they are simple shapes. I don't like to ice a really chilled cake. So I fill my layers and let it sit a couple of hours, to let the cake settle. Then I crumb coat, and let it sit for maybe half an hour. Just so the coat is dry. Then I ice the cake.

If you're filling the layers with buttercream, you can just let the cake sit out. If your filling is perishable, then you need to keep it in the fridge when you're not working on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%