Color Changing

Decorating By jennerbug Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm by jennerbug

jennerbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennerbug Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 3

Help!!! My brown icing keeps turning green! I use the brown wilton cake icing coloring in the 1oz small bottle. Looks great when I mix it with my traditional buttercream icing and then the next morning, everything I did in brown is green!! I'm tired of re-doing cakes. Anybody got any ideas?

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 3

It sounds like the red in it is fading out. One easy way to get brown frosting is to use chocolate...different cocoa powders will make different shades of brown. If you don't want chocolate flavor, maybe you could try Americolor instead of Wilton, or try storing the cake in a box. Sometimes the light will fade red dyes, especially fluorescent lights or direct sunlight (like through a window). Is it fading the same all over the cake?

jennerbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennerbug Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, it is fading the same all over the cake. And I store them in the refrigerator, so shouldn't be any light except when the door is open. I think its a problem with Wilton. Where can I get that other brand? Haven't heard of it, but I have got to do something, and adding chocolate isn't really an option most times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%