Pricing For Cakeballs

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm by cupcakeatheart

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:59am
post #31 of 70

I hear you Dakota! Even though I am in a big city, where I am most people can't get cake balls easily. Heck, most haven't even heard of them until they meet me. (its a cultural thing) I sell really fast, hard to keep in stock right now. I get $17.00 per dozen. Price break start after 5 dz. I sell to caterers that way. The dz is packaged in a see thru long plastic container that is originally meant for a single rose. It is long and slim and holds up well. I purchase them from the local floral supply store. We tie pretty bows on them and off they go.

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:42am
post #32 of 70

okay, I have a question about y'all's pricing....what's the average diameter of your cake balls/truffles? There seems to be such a big difference in pricing are we all making similar sizes?

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:55am
post #33 of 70

I would like to know a typical cake truffle size too....icon_smile.gif

auntginn Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #34 of 70

Ok there is a thread going right now "How about a Serious Thread about Cake Balls"
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=658476&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

on page 2 someone posted that a melon baller should be used to scoop the mixture to form the cake balls.

Frankly I think that would be too small, but for the sake of clarifying this $64 million dollar question, I think it would be a good idea if everyone used the same thing to determine price.

Whadda ya think?????

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:42am
post #35 of 70

I use a small scoop thats about the size of a regular chocolate truffle. I think a melon baller is to small.

auntginn Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #36 of 70

I already make mine larger than a walnut I think. A melon baller would be half that size easily. My customers would scream. They would accuse me of downsizing like McDonalds did the Big Mac. lol

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:05am
post #37 of 70

Mine are about the size of a golf ball, maybe a tiny bit smaller. I haven't sold these but I thought I'd try to sell them for Christmas. I was thinking of $15/dozen in a box with a ribbon. Now I'm thinking maybe that's a little too much.

Actual chocolate truffles are easily $1.25 each, so that doesn't seem like too much to me.

auntginn Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:23pm
post #38 of 70

Sounds reasonable to me. I get $17.00

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #39 of 70

I was wanting to make a cakeball tree. Any one have advise on how much to charge for it???

auntginn Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #40 of 70

It will depend on the size of your tree, Look at this tree, they claim it takes them approx 75 cake balls to produce. If you are charging by the dz. what ever your price per dz, it can get pretty pricey. Not forgetting to add the base, the cone, the extra chcolate, what ever other essentials to produce and some for labor.

I've made trees with fresh strawberries and they are labor intensive.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=658476&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=60

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #41 of 70

I will be charging $7 for 6; $12 for a doz.; & $24 for 2 doz. I put these in a box with a bow. I want to offer those beautiful towers but haven't figured out the absolute cost....just figured on $40 for a small one. But believe it or not I can't find those #$%& candle holders that I like for it!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #42 of 70

Timbits are the same thing as Dunkin' Donuts Munchkins.

Can you figure out how much it will cost you to make the cake balls? For instance, I know the batch of brownie truffles I just did cost me $21+ to make 100, not including the packaging. If I include the packaging, then it would be $48.50+ to make 25 boxes with 4 truffles in each (they're in my photos). ($1.94+ per box, which does NOT include my labor.) If I were selling these, I would have to sell them for about $6 per box of 4. Most people usually either double or triple their product cost at a craft fair (used to do a lot of craft fairs-jewelry and paper items). I've never sold baked goods so I don't know if that is the same formula.

Here's my breakdown to give you an idea of the things you need to remember when calculating your costs. Don't forget to add anything, or else you'll be paying for that from your pocket.

Brownie Truffles
$7 for 2.5 lbs of candy melts
$14 for the brownies (I bought pre-made from BJ's the save time)
+ (I also used Pettinice fondant, dragees, and pearl dust to make the tiny flowers, which are all too hard to figure out the price of.)

Boxes
$17.50 for the boxes (34 cents per sheet of cardstock, each box needs 2 sheets)
$7 for ribbon
$3 for tissue paper

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:13pm
post #43 of 70

Hi all, I have a couple of questions...

Do you all charge the same price for all your cake balls?? I make some that cost a bit more to make than others so I think I need to reflect this in the price. I am already starting to get orders for my cake balls and don't know how to figure out the appropriate prices. I started on the low end, $6/dozen right now just to get the word out. However, this price will need to go up just to cover my costs. I also live in NY so everything here is more expensive. Do I use the regular price or sale price I buy my ingredients for when figuring out price points???

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

saberger Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:19pm
post #44 of 70

I use regular price rather than sale price in case I don't get the item on sale. This way I can still make a profit no matter what. Don't forget to add the tax onto the item. For ex: when I buy butter, I have to add the sales tax in order to figure out what I TRULY pay for butter. Believe it or not, I wasn't doing that, but m DH was quick to point it out to me. Also, unless I make a really, really, fancy flavor, mine will be based on the design instead.

auntginn Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:28pm
post #45 of 70

I have some flavors that cost more to produce and I do charge for it. So my cake ball prices vary. Also I have specials. With whatever flavor I have to much leftover and I need to move it, I make up the cakeball and price it slightly lower so customers will buy that or buy more. Just makes for good customer service. They are happier to pay, lol. thumbs_up.gif

MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:41pm
post #46 of 70

After searching for "cake balls" through Google, I saw that one site charged $24/dozen. Of course, they were packaged very nicely. HTH

cupcakeatheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeatheart Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #47 of 70

I am selling mine 6 for $6 and 12 for $11 gift wrapped with box and bow. My large trees are 75 balls for $60. Awesome idea about just bringing some and selling them at work. I think I'll give that a go next week

saberger Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #48 of 70

I would think the large trees should be a little more since they are also paying for the holder. I haven't made the tree yet, so I don't know how many cake balls go on it. Do you use the same size truffles as normal or do you make them slightly smaller so it's not too heavy?

cupcakeatheart Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #49 of 70

I make my balls about 1.25" and use the same size on the tree. Think $70 would be good?

CakeDiva73- Those are awesome boxes! Mind me asking where you got them? I havent been happy with any of the boxes I have found icon_cry.gif

esq1031 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esq1031 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:17pm
post #50 of 70

I am dying to see cakediva's boxes. I must be retarded because I don't know where to find them. Help please...

auntginn Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #51 of 70

rofl, I searching all thru this post looking for those boxes, so don't feel bad we're in this together. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cupcakeatheart Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #52 of 70

It's on her website http://www.coakiejoe.com/ Way awesome name too dontcha think.

I've tried to check out your website to awwww over your creations auntginn, but for some reason it's not letting me open it icon_sad.gif

auntginn Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:32pm
post #53 of 70

Yes, my db has been playing around with it and we were down for more than a week. We are back up again, however, now I really need to do some major clean up. Please feel free to stop by.

Cakediva I love your site, the boxes are a very nice touch much more presentable and you do very nice work. Do you mind me asking, Are those cupcake boxes?

saberger Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:34pm
post #54 of 70
auntginn Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #55 of 70

Oh Yeah................ Well duh.......... that is even much nicer, very pretty box

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #56 of 70

I was looking at paper mart dot com because they have TONS Of boxes and look at these COOL boxes I found.

I'll bet these would be PERFECT for cake balls!!!!

the biggest one of the polka dot boxes is 8"x5"x1.75" and is only $1.90 a piece! They have a magnetic closure on the front of it too, and look like a nice box you would save.

The tube things are soooooooo cheap.....the biggest one is only .20 each!
LL
LL

saberger Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #57 of 70

I actually use these for my cookies and cake truffles: http://www.boxandwrap.com/ballobox.html

cupcakeatheart Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:04pm
post #58 of 70

I think I found them http://www.uline.com/BL_5605/Stationery-Boxes
I'm guessing they are the 6 9/16 X 4 /13/16 X 2. I wish they were a bit cheaper though

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:02pm
post #59 of 70

http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=16687&SubGroupID=16688&ParentGroupID=18989#16688

i went on her website and I thought they looked similar to these!

These aren't expensive at all either

the largest ones are only $.56
LL

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #60 of 70

My cake truffle took about 61 balls & was 3 7/8" x 8 7/8" . The circumference of the cone shrinks 1" in circumference every 1" you move up the cone (the bottom circumference was 12". But I think my most recent batch looks like smaller balls. I don't know if I compressed them more when I rolled them out or if they have less chocolate on them (I had more success this time using Bakerella's method). but I used the same size scoop when i scooped them out.

I have a ? about pkging. Do you guys always put them in mini cupcake papers before boxing? What if you present them on a platter? And eventhough I've made a tree, how would you transport it? I've thought about putting it in a box surrounded by bubble wrap & then glue it to a candlestick when I got there. Any other suggestions? i'm thinking about checking the dollar tree for a base.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%