3D Small Pumpkin?

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm by kakeladi

Katie-Bug Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 8

I have a customer wanting a 3D pumpkin for a smash cake and I'm struggling with it. Please someone help.

My first question is what pan can I use and then what about frosting it?
To get a really nice coat, like the picture she showed, I'd have to use fondant. Would you really want fondant on a smash cake, seems kinda hard for a 1 year old to tear into a play with.

Thanks Katie

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 8

If you have a metal or glass bowl the right size, you could bake two cakes in it and then put them together. It probably wouldn't be as round as the ball pan usually is, but pumpkins aren't really totally round so I think it would work.

I don't think a determined baby would have much trouble tearing into fondant. It's probaby easier to clean out of their hair than buttercream too icon_biggrin.gif I wasn't using fondant back when I made smash cakes for my kids, but at that age they were used to eating with their hands and everything they touched automatically headed for their mouths. I would tell the mother to take the fondant stem off before serving, if you make one...seems like that could be a choking hazard.

luvmysmoother Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 8

Whatever pan/bowl you use please be sure you use a durable cake. I used the white cake mix (all egg whites, little oil) and my 3d pumpkin (made in the small Wilton sports ball mold)sank so it looked like it was levelled off even though I did not level it at all. It wasn't a disaster but not at all what I wanted eithericon_smile.gif I'm going to try again today to make another 3-d round cake - wish me luckicon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 8

I can't remember if I have posted pix of mini 3-d pumpkins I have made or not. I cannot get into my photo gallery to check so you might check my gallery.
As was suggested any small bowl or cupcake can be used. I use the mini doll skirt (wonder mold) many times. It's the perfect size for a smash cake and makes a really cute pumpkin shape.

tigerhawk83 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 8

I'm using a bundt pan for my pumpkin - can bake 2 and stack them broad ends together. I'm using just 1 and trimming it - kind of squat but has the ribs like a pumpkin. I actually got a pumpkin cake recipe off Allrecipes.com for the cake.

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #6 of 8

I use a bundt pan and the cake really looks like a pumpkin wtih out fondant, because of the pan. I use orange tinted cream cheese icing and a ice cream cone covered in green tinted buttercream for the stem.

poohsmomma Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 8

You can buy mini-bundt pans...would that work?

kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, mini bundt are available and of course that would work nicely for a smash cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%