What To Use To Make Black Fondant?

Decorating By ramie7224 Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm by MrsNancyB1

ramie7224 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 10

I need a true black fondant. I've used Wilton gels before and they dry pretty dark, but I really had to use a lot. Is there something else I can use that might work better?

9 replies
SuzyNoQ Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 10

Start by making chocolate fondant, that way it is darker to begin with and you will use less color.

SJ169 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 10

I have never tried my chocolate fondant but i use the Americolor super black or I use my airbrush, it depends on what I am doing tho.
HTH icon_smile.gif

christeena Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 10

I know this is too late for you now but here is my advice for what it's worth!

I HATE trying to get black in fondant or buttercream! So I cheat!! icon_lol.gif

I buy a 2# tub of black fondant to have on hand and I keep a couple of tubes of black Wilton icing. That way I'm covered and don't have to sweat trying to get a true black color. I can add piping gel to the Wilton black to write with and all's good in my cake world!!

vdrsolo Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 10

I just buy black Satin Ice, much easier than having to color it.

lilscakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 10

I'm with christeena......I also cheat. Got tired of trying to achieve a good deep black colour, so this works best for me.

Texas_Rose Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 10

It is easier to make black from chocolate fondant. Otherwise, it really does take a lot of color. If you add the color before the powdered sugar, sometimes it mixes better.

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10

I also vote for buying it premade. I keep black, red and "Colt's Blue" on hand at all times.

chefjulie Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 10

I actually just went through this last night! I didnt have time to buy Satin Ice- which is what I would normally do, so I used my chocolate pettinice and added a good amount of Americolor black food coloring. Worked perfectly icon_smile.gif

MrsNancyB1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #10 of 10

I just made it 2 days ago, but I started with chocolate MMF. I still had to use about half of the jar of Wilton black gel, but I *did* achieve the dark black I was going for.

FTR, I was going to buy a 2lb bucket of satin ice too, but here's the way I figured it cost wise. Even if I color with an entire jar of black, that will cost $1.69 in color. That saved me the $20 from buying the black premade. Kneading in the color wasn't even that time consuming, because the more color I added the more pliable the fondant became. So it was a quick process overall...I think it took me about 20 minutes total. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%