Failed Boiled Icing, Now What Should I Do With This Stuff?

Decorating By metria Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm by Mike1394

metria Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:49am
post #1 of 9

I tried a boiled icing recipe that I found somewhere and failed miserably. Typical boiled icing directions with these ingredients:

1 cup egg whites (I used Egg Beaters' Whites in a carton)
-> whipped until stiff

3 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
-> boiled to soft ball stage

added syrup to whites ...

Not sure where it all went wrong. The egg whites whipped up ok. Maybe the sugar was way too hot or too much? Maybe carton egg whites just don't cut it? Now I have a bucket of what's very similar to runny marshmallow creme. It's still yummy and smooth, but not icing material. What should I make with all this stuff? I'm thinking drizzling it on something not-so-failed ...

8 replies
beckycrocker Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:58am
post #2 of 9

looks alot like thinned royal icing. maybe you could use it on some sugar cookies?? icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:04am
post #3 of 9

I spread some out and let it sit for a while but it never crusted. It's just oozy gooey goodness.

lutie Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:07am
post #4 of 9

Why don't you try making cake balls with it?...just add some more 10 x sugar and see if it works.

JanH Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:19am
post #5 of 9

From reading other posts with the same problem... The egg whites in the cartons don't all make for a good meringue:

prterrell Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:26am
post #6 of 9

I always boil my sugar to firm ball stage, btwn 240 and 250 deg F.

Haven't used Egg Beater's carton whites, but the All Whites brand works fine for me. I add 1/8 tsp cream of tartar per every 3 tbsp of egg white.

How long did you whip it after adding the syrup? Maybe just needs to be whipped more?

metria Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:45am
post #7 of 9

I whipped it until it was room temperature, as per recipe instructions ... then even a little longer ... I even added some Meringue Powder to try to save it ... but no dice. Next time I'll try real egg whites. My grocery store doesn't carry any other brand of carton egg whites.

prterrell Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:02am
post #8 of 9

You can make boiled icing using meringue powder, too (use CK brand, though, the Wilton stuff doesn't taste as good).

3 tbsp meringue powder + 1/2 cup cold water - beat in mixer until medium peaks

1/4 cup corn syrup + 2 cups granulated sugar + 1/2 cup water - heat in sauce pan over medium heat until 240 deg F.

Pour into mixing bowl as per usual method for boiled icing (I pour with the mixer going full blast, I just pour the hot syrup down the inside of the bowl). Whip until stiff and shiney - about 5 min on my KA, about 7 minutes using my hand mixer.

This method has never failed me.

Mike1394 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 9

Put some butter in it to make IMBC

Quote by @%username% on %date%