Do You Give A Discount If Your Name Gets In Print?

Business By HarleyDee Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm by costumeczar

HarleyDee Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:44am
post #1 of 12

I spoke to a bride today that is having an unusual wedding. She said the newspaper talked to her about possibly doing a story about it. She asked me if she got them to mention my business, could I give her a discount. I told her we could definitely work something out.

Do any of you do that? I'm just wondering because, obviously the article wouldn't be written until after the wedding, and I don't want to chance giving her a discount before, and something happen and the paper not run it. Should I just give her a refund later? I also told her that I do gift certificates, since I do lots of other things besides weddings.

11 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:41am
post #2 of 12

Hmm....I saw a listing on Craig's List touting a full on celebrity wedding with full press so they expected all the vendors to do the work for free/heavy discount.

I would definitely tell her you are okay with it and once it has been published you could give her a "whatever" % refund. Like a reverse discount...... if she is a-scammin', she will not be interested.

littlecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 12

ugh....i don't like this.

usually stuff like this doesn't give you that much help.

man what will they come up with next?

Deb_ Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 12

No way! This sounds like a new angle on "how to get a discount"....ridiculous!

cutthecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 12

IF and WHEN the article appears, you can send her a "Thank you" cake/cookie bouquet/cupcake platter/gift certificate/whatever, if you are so inclined.
A discount or refund is too risky. And unnecessary.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 12

Dude, I haven't read the paper in a while but anybody can get their wedding in there. I'd say no discount.

Lenette Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 12

This is not going to benefit your business like you think. I used to do stuff for a discount or free with charity events and stuff. trust me, it doesn't come back in orders. 99% of the people reading that article on her wedding are going to be people that know her, that's it.

No one is going to take note of who the baker is and say "oh I should go to her" because this woman got a write up in the paper.
Charge your price and leave it be. This is not "advertising" for you like they are trying to make it sound.

I wish you luck on this, these are lessons I learned the hard way.

Classycakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 12

More often than not, the article is written from the point of view of a couple planning a wedding, not necessarily giving credit to the individual vendors the couple used. That is totally up to the writer, not the couple, so you can't be sure your name will be used until it's actually in print. I had a bride last year who's wedding was featured in this summer's edition of "Today's Bride", a glossy bridal magazine printed in Canada. A picture of my cake was front and center of the full page article but no vendors were mentioned at all. It was lovely to see my cake but only me and the bride knew it was mine.

Personally I would wait to see if credit has been given to you and then you could offer her a little gift. If she's fishing for discounts, then she's promising something that she's not in a position to deliver. Maybe you should send a gift to the writer icon_twisted.gif

indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 12

One of my 7-7-07 brides was interviewed and the story was in USA Today. She told me she mentioned my business as one of the vendors but not a word of it was printed (and really, I didn't expect it to be ... the story wasn't about the cake lady, it was about a couple getting married on 7-7-07.)

This is real close to "will you SPONSOR my wedding and we'll put your name in the program." Whup-dee-do. I get my name in the program lots of times and they don't get a free cake for doing it.

CarolAnn Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 12

HarleyDee Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 12

See, that's why I ask y'all first! icon_biggrin.gif I really don't think she is fishing for discounts, just from the nature of everything we talked about. But I definitely would not give her anything unless/until the article came out, and my business name was in there. Like cutthecake said, maybe just a cookie basket or something.

costumeczar Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 12

No no no no no.

Quote by @%username% on %date%