Crumb Coating - Need Answer Fast!!

Decorating By gloria Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 10:48am by grandmom

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #1 of 6

I have read so many things about using the buttercream before applying the fondant I'm confused.

I am in the middle of doing a cake and have done what I consider a "crumbcoat". It is a very thin layer and of course the crumbs are all secured within it.

I just read that one should put another layer of buttercream on top before putting on the fondant.

2 questions:

1. is this done so a person can peel off the fondant and still have an icing?

2. is this done so that the fondant will stick?

If the reason is #2 than I assume I can bypass the 2nd layer of buttercream.

5 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #2 of 6

I apply a thin crumbcoat and then another thin "topcoat" before applying the fondant.

If you put too much it will squish out the bottom, but you want enough so that you'll have a nice smooth base for your fondant to adhere to.

Hope I made sense.

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:45am
post #3 of 6

oh crap! now I have to make another batch.

I've never done it this way before.

Thanks for your help.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:50am
post #4 of 6

You should be fine with just one coat. I never add a second coat when I am using fondant. However, you do want to make sure that your crumbcoat is even and thick enough to cover the cake so that it doesn't show through the fondant. Good luck.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:15am
post #5 of 6

it is not a cake rule, its just personal preferance. some people like a clean layer of bc. some people do like thick bc as they dont like fondant - but i would just do a thick layer of bc.
the fondant will stick no matter how thick the layer is.
do it next time if you want, but i wouldnt put yourself behind schedule for this one.
xx

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:48am
post #6 of 6

I agree with princess_b. People do it all different ways. It will be fine. You will develop your own preferred method with just a few cakes under your belt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%