Announcing Pregnancy Ideas.....

Decorating By amusjh Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm by pupandbon

amusjh Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 13

I am wanting to make a cake to work to announce to everyone that we are expecting. Does anyone have any good ideas of what I should do? I only do buttercream cakes, so no fondant. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

12 replies
tatorchip Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 13

welcome to CC and congrats on the baby

jenng1482 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 13

I dont have any ideas right off hand but........CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Doug Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 13

looks like:

pregnancy test thing

shopping list with all new baby things on it

cover of a baby book

bag of diapers

birth certificate

death certificate for the rabbit (or a letter stating Dear XYZ, we are happy to inform you the rabbit died.)

(totally obtuse -- recipe for rabbit stew -- with a little note -- Well, what else do you expect me to do with a dead rabbit!)

box of cigars with yellow bands (unless you already know the gender)

calendar with approximate due date circled.

one of those siggy line counters that marks off the months until....

baby block

(extremely totally obtuse: a penguin smiling really big -- from Neil Simon's female version of The Odd Couple where one of the characters announces she's pregnant by saying "the penguin came through" having earlier called her husband a penguin after finding out the birds only have sex 1x a year.)

front of a birth announcement but it only says: It's a .... (yet to determined) could add "and we hope it's a .....(state your preference)

plaque with the baby poems what are little boys and little girls made of

paint chips -- two colors -- one labeled "if its a boy", the other "if it's a girl"

jenng1482 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:44am
post #5 of 13

I love the shopping list idea!

sweet-thing Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:46am
post #6 of 13

I love the pregnancy test idea.

grandmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:26am
post #7 of 13

Doug, you amaze me with your profusion of ideas! You, dear sir, are like the Robin Williams of caking - substitute for comedy a constant stream of ideas!

JGMB Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:43am
post #8 of 13

I love all of Doug's ideas. However, if it were me making the cake -- all of those sound beyond my abilities!!! So, if you need something simpler, how about:

2 + 1=3

In case anyone doesn't get it, you're having "a little one" and then your family grows. Just a thought!

Edited to add: Okay, somehow the different sized fonts failed me!!! Make the 2 and the plus sign normal size, then a teeny, tiny number one, the equal sign normal size and the 3 much larger.

pouchet82 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 13

Would you want to use a shaped pan? You can do a stork maybe?? I think there is a wilton stork pan

mommicakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:07pm
post #10 of 13

I would write on it:

"Our family is growing by two feet"

then put two baby footprints underneath that. icon_biggrin.gif

Good ideas Doug!!! I will remember those when I'm stumped. icon_lol.gif

Doug Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 13

and another:

t-shirt cake --- possible slogans for front:
> construction zone next nine months
> this space occupied next nine months
> baby zone
> rub my belly -- I break your face!
> shhhhhh.....baby sleeping
> for the family guy fans: praying its not a Stewie!
> just give me chocolate, pickles, and ice cream and no one gets hurt.
> T-9 months and counting

------

make 2 small (like 6" round) 4 layer tall cakes -- make one look like a quart of ice cream, the other a jar of pickles -- place on a board together. Saying: ah the cravings of pregnancy.

------

KristyCakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 13

How about a bun in the oven?

pupandbon Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 13

we didn't do ours with cake but when we were expecting, we brought my in-laws a saucer magnolia tree with a card that we had written, 'we're adding a branch to the family tree" and they planted the tree and we have a "my little gir'ls name" tree at mimi and papa's now that is almost 4 years old (she'll soon be 3) so you could use that same sort of thing maybe do a tree with branches with family names with "Baby (your last name)" on one of the branches and see who notices it first? just a thought, can't wait to see what you decide on!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%