The Buttercream Smoothness!!

Decorating By mcampbell31 Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm by __Jamie__

mcampbell31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcampbell31 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 23

How and the heck do some bakers get their buttercream to look sooooo smooth? So smooth that it almost looks like fondant. I'm in the middle of making a cake right now and I just can not get it to look that smooth with a regular ole spatula. Is there a specific tool they use that I need to know about? I tried using my fondant smoother...ha ha not happening! What's the technique?

Also I have a hard time smoothing out where the top and the side of the cake meet! Any technique to that as well?

Thanks In Advance!!

22 replies
caseyhayes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyhayes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 23

There is what you call the viva paper towel method. If you are using a crusting icing let it crust and get your paper towel out. Lay it over the cake and smooth the cake with the flat of your hand or you can use a fondant smoother. I think there is a tutorial on this method here on cake central. if not check utube. I promise it will be worth the trouble. I can't smooth icing with a spatula for the life of me, this method saved me.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:33am
post #3 of 23

viva method does do wonders!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 23

Melvira's method, hands down. (See "articles" on how to do it).

Edna's video is really helpful too. I re-watched it recently and my cakes are looking better than ever.

mcampbell31 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 23

Thanks So Much! I'm going to try and attempt this tonight!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #6 of 23

Wet your spatula with HOT water, wipe it dry quick, and smooth.

HTH!!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 23

I also like Melvira's method. It's so easy & less messy than the hot knife!!

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:12am
post #8 of 23

I also like Melvira's method. It's so easy & less messy than the hot knife!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:15am
post #9 of 23

I use a thin plastic bowl scraper.
Also, lots of practice.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:23am
post #10 of 23

I think thats years of experience, like Buddy Valastro can even make a bc rose blind folded....amazing.......I use viva paper towel, hot knife any dang thing that works at the time....good luck

prterrell Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:39am
post #11 of 23

See this thread for more info on same topic: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-655686-.html

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #12 of 23

I found the youtube videos from serious cakes and tonedna extremely helpful. Applying the frosting with the icing tip made the frosting application more even which helped when smoothing. It also made a huge difference to switch from a spatula to a bench scraper for the sides. For some reason it made a complete difference, I think cause I had better control and easier to see what I was doing. Also by watching the videos I changed to smoothing the top from the outside to the middle, prior to the videos I was smoothing the top in a circle. It made a great difference in the top corner. Then I viva and/or melvira.

mcampbell31 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:51am
post #13 of 23

Ok so i'm over here Viva Paper toweling it and it looks just OK. Still not as good as I want it too look. I guess it'll have to do. I'm a beginner cake decorator anyway.
Also when I put my buttercream on and tried to smooth it out with water it left like a whitesh look to the color of the cakes which is pink and purple. How can I avoid that happening again? I guess use less water to spread the buttercream out? Cake Decorating such a skill that takes time and patience. I amazed at some of the work I see on here. I hope to be as good one day.

prterrell Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:12am
post #14 of 23

You don't actually use water to spread the buttercream out. Once you have all the buttercream on and you are doing the finishing smoothing touches you use hot water to get your spatula hot but you wipe the water off of the spatula before you take the spatula to your cake--you want the spatula to be hot but dry.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:57am
post #15 of 23

Ha! I don't know what to call the method I use - a blend of Sugarshack, Melvira and Edna!! Sugvirdna?

lizzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzybee Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:02pm
post #16 of 23

Where do we find Melvira's method. Edna's video or even viva towels. Help me, please. e.g is viva a brand name towel. I live in Canada don't remember seeing that brand or will any paper towel do?
Look forward to your responses as usual.

Lizzybee

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #17 of 23

It also helps with sharp corners to have two spatulas. Let me see if I can adequately explain this. Place one spatula level with the corner on one side of the cake, and pull the second spatula on the other side of the same corner toward the first spatula. Then pull the first spatula straight up. That isn't very clear. There is a video on youtube that shows the processor a lot better then I can explain it. Check out this link:

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybee

Where do we find Melvira's method. Edna's video or even viva towels. Help me, please. e.g is viva a brand name towel. I live in Canada don't remember seeing that brand or will any paper towel do?
Look forward to your responses as usual.

Lizzybee

viva paper towel is a non patterned paper towel, so look for that.

lizzybee Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:09pm
post #19 of 23

Thanks so much for your prompt responses as usual.
I will visit the site right now.

cre8_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8_acake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #20 of 23

I saw a thread on youtube that worked wonders for me when it comes to smoothing. Try a foam paint roller. You can get it from your local hardware store. I just started using it and it works everytime! thumbs_up.gif I'll have to post some pics of the finished work. Good luck! HTH icon_biggrin.gif

lizzybee Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 4:38pm
post #21 of 23

Another wonderful suggestion. Maybe I can look for this on youtube.

Thanks!!

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:02pm
post #22 of 23

I haven't found Viva paper towels here in Canada. I use parchment paper or computer paper with my fondant smoother.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #23 of 23

Sugarshack method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%