In The Mood To Make Some Cookies But....

Baking By Kandy4283 Updated 18 Oct 2009 , 3:47pm by Kandy4283

Kandy4283 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 7

I have been in this cookie mood....all i wanna make is cookies! It is about that time of the year! I cannot wait to make cookie trays!! I think I am going to make some sugar cookies tonight, but I cannot decorate them for the life of me like half of you guys can! So whats the trick on getting them to look good?

6 replies
Jopalis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 7

What type of icing are you planning on using. If it's RI, a friend who made beautiful cookies told me a few things. I make my RI to flooding consistency. To know when that is right, don't add all the water at once. Put in enough to what you think is close. If you drop a few drops of icing from a spoon, count off 10 seconds (one one thousand, two one thousand, etc.). By the time you get to 10, evidence of the drops should pretty much have disappeared. If it's close, you can shake the cookie a bit after flooding and get it to spread. If its too thick it will still show...add a wee bit of water at a time and mix thoroughly. I use same consistency for outlining but just let it set a bit before flooding. I prefer this as I don't like to see the outline. I also cover the bowl tightly with saran and leave it on the counter overnight. This gives it a chance to have the air bubbles surface and you won't have as many issues with bubbles in your icing. Take out small amounts to color if different colors are planned. Be sure to not let icing get exposed to air. If not in a squeeze bottle (which is what I use), keep the bowl covered...saran or damp towel.... There are different techniques with overpiping, etc.

I have done running hearts and spider webs, etc. also piped over dry RI... depends on what effect you are going after. Practice makes perfect. Mine are far from it... LOL. Remember to have fun!

Jopalis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 7

Check out Antonia 74's tutorial on cookies.... I use that too! Priceless....

Kandy4283 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:26am
post #4 of 7

thanks! thats what i am going to try to do tomorrow! Antonia74's sounds easy and i have heard nothing but good things about it, so i figure its worth a shot! Also, thanks for the other tips! thumbs_up.gif

Jopalis Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:37am
post #5 of 7

You're welcome. Just try to get the consisency of your icing right. I use Penny's butter cookies and Antonia's icing... I do the refrigerate, roll, cut, refrigerate and then separate the cookies from the excess dough. I put the whole thing on the cookie sheet with silicone mats and stick it in the freezer while I roll the next batch, press cutters...chill, etc. Don't overbake. Just slightly change in color...

You can even make the cookies and freeze and frost another day.... Good luck. Post pics. Ask questions. thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 7:26am
post #6 of 7

yay i love cookies too!!

Jopalis pretty much covered everything about the decorating and baking but i'll add that I use Antonia's RI all the time too and love it! Good luck!

Kandy4283 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 7

thanks again guys! I love making cookies, i have made the same sugar cookie recipe since i was a kid with my grandmother and i LOVE them! The only thing that i have a hard time with is the icing cause i have always used a knife to frost them with and just put sprinkles on the top! So i think i am going to try a new way and hopefully it works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%