Figurine Makers-Up Your Prices Now!

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm by cherrycakes

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 33

I love Dean and Deluca, I really do. Their holiday/seasonl/whatever catalogs that I used to get with the pretty purse and gift box cakes is what got me interested in "cake-ing".

But check this out:

http://www.deandeluca.com/chocolates-and-confections/confections/marzipan-figurines.aspx

I mean the detailing and animation is incredible....not. Not for $35! Dang!

So, you guys that make figurines and people and whatever else, cause I can't to save my life, I salute you, and say: whatever you are charging.....add 25%! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

32 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 33

I agree that is definitely, not worth $35, Wow.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 33

Oh my! LOL! And the thing is, people WILL probably buy them!! LOL!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 33

ALOT of people will buy them!! You would be very suprised at someone is willing to pay for something that they need and either cannot find anywhere or make themselves!

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy4283

ALOT of people will buy them!! You would be very suprised at someone is willing to pay for something that they need and either cannot find anywhere or make themselves!

Yup. Thank God for that! Hahahahaha! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif Just kidding....well, not really. Ummm, yeah. Hee hee.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 33

Those are just pushed off the assembly line for molds. I bet they aren't hand made, they couldn't be and be masses produced for general sale.
The colors are not even great.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 33

I guess i should have added that i would not pay that much for these...but others may....

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 33

Wow 35 for those.... I would soo not spend that much on those!
Jesh and I thought for me charging $5 per animal was a little high

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 33

So it's a set of three for $35 so like $11.67 ish each--mail order--what's a matta with that? Isn't it good that someone somewhere can charge a tidy sum for their handiwork and is charging it?

We got folks charging less than a lunch box snack for designer cake and we wanna clean Dean & Deluca's clock for doing it right?

Dean and Deluca are our friends!!!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:49am
post #10 of 33

I thought that was what Lurvely was suggesting, to charge accordingly instead of undercharging. That's the way I took it. Maybe I am wrong.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

I thought that was what Lurvely was suggesting, to charge accordingly instead of undercharging. That's the way I took it. Maybe I am wrong.

That's what I thought too.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #12 of 33

I've been thinking about trying to market my figures to bakeries in my area, but worry about not being good enough. This gives me inspiration!

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #13 of 33

I guess I'm saying all sorts of stuff. Don't let people push you around for yourpricing for super detailed figures, cause Dean and Deluca is selling not very detailed (very amateurish IMNSHO) for a pretty penny.

Just interesting, that's all. And if Dean and Deluca can get $35 for said very amateurish figurines, y'all can justify even more for super fancy ones. icon_wink.gif

So for Dean and Deluca, for sure....I guess? Now I'mconfused. And my keypad is sticking. Argh!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #14 of 33

We have a cake supply store that I have been thinking about making figures for. They sell RI flowers, some small very undetailed figures and some other misc. picks. I actually think that I could make GP cake toppers for them and then they could sell them for $30 to $50 apiece. Depending on the intricacy of the topper.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #15 of 33

Those are kind of cute!

They just gave me a great idea to make some of those myself and sell them separately OTC.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #16 of 33

That's actually a really great reference for a fondant/gumpaste scupltor to have. Because you're right, there is not much detail and they are very small. Thanks!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #17 of 33

Well after seeing prices like these on polymer clay figurines I've decided to up my prices on my gumpaste fugures.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_16&listing_id=20771618&ga_search_query=cake+toppers&ga_search_type=tag_title
I know polymer clay lasts forever but if properly store gumpaste has a pretty long shelf life as well and the technique in creating them is very similar.
Keep in mind these are "cheap" compared to other polymer clay toppers I found, but they are really cute and look like fondant so that's why I choose them as my example.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Well after seeing prices like these on polymer clay figurines I've decided to up my prices on my gumpaste fugures.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_16&listing_id=20771618&ga_search_query=cake+toppers&ga_search_type=tag_title
I know polymer clay lasts forever but if properly store gumpaste has a pretty long shelf life as well and the technique in creating them is very similar.
Keep in mind these are "cheap" compared to other polymer clay toppers I found, but they are really cute and look like fondant so that's why I choose them as my example.

Oh my gosh! That is the cutest thing I have EVER seen! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:36pm
post #19 of 33

Oh and they are'nt mine, just in case ya'll think they are, I found them online, but they are super cute are'nt they.
And they do like fondant!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:

My mom always bemoans the fact that I do my figures in sugar rather than polymer clay because, even though they last a very long time, they don't last forever. These are so cute, it makes me wonder why I'm not doing the "keepsake" toppers in polymer... mind you, not the little items one sets around on cakes as accents, but the true toppers that "finish" the cake.

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #21 of 33

The link below doesn't open for me....help...anyone

http://www.etsy.com/view_listi.....=tag_title

CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #22 of 33

uh I just tried it and it's gone, weird? they were so cute. Try going to Etsy.com and searching polymer clay cake toppers,there's alot and you'll be able to see some of the prices people charge.

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:05pm
post #23 of 33

Thanks for the help. I found them. They are really cute!!!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:11pm
post #24 of 33

Those are cute, cute, cute! I'm not a figure model person (meaning I can't really do it), so the Dean and Delucca ones are more my speed. I think the price is fine, remember those are marzipan and that stuff is expensive to being with!

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #25 of 33

I am in the Uk but our cake topper prices are just silly too icon_biggrin.gif the bride who bought my football shirt clad couple paid £75 for them and they where not expertly made but she was very happy with them.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:12pm
post #26 of 33

It's Dean & Deluca. People LOVE to pay for names & high prices. Tha's why I always say charge appropiately, there IS someone who will pay for it...in fact, they will pay for it, cause the price is high. They love the bragging rights & Jones's attitude that comes with buying anything custom made.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #27 of 33
Quote:

Oh and they are'nt mine, just in case ya'll think they are, I found them online, but they are super cute are'nt they.
And they do like fondant!

here is something I found
LL
LL
LL
LL

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:18pm
post #28 of 33

Scrummymummy, your football couple is very nicely done!

Did you see the penguin on that site? It was $17! I had over a dozen penguins on one of my cakes that I did for a friend's daughter! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

xkfayex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkfayex Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #29 of 33

hahah i was more concerned with the 6" gift Happy Birthday Cake... for $150 icon_eek.gif

i think that is outrageous.. i mean if that is what i should be charging for cakes of that skill and caliber.. i am way underpriced!!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #30 of 33

Thanks tatorchip those are really cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%