I Need Help With My Sinking Cake!!!!

Decorating By mareg Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm by springlakecake

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 15

Hello there, I just baked a 12x12x2 in cake. WASC. It fell the last 5 minutes of baking. This has happend with this pan before. icon_mad.gif I had 3 flower nails it it and still it sa icon_cry.gif nk. Any tips for the next layer???? PLEASE!!
LL
LL

14 replies
mareg Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 15

oops sorry i didn't know it would put 3 pics. in.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 15

You may be overfilling your pans. Measure out the batter if you need to...a 12" pan calls for 10 cups of batter.

Bake at a lower temperature i.e. 325 degrees for a longer period of time and don't open the oven door during the baking time.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 15

Maybe tent a piece of aluminum foil over it and keep it there after you take it out of the oven.

Geez I hate that happened to you.

mareg Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

You may be overfilling your pans. Measure out the batter if you need to...a 12" pan calls for 10 cups of batter.

Bake at a lower temperature i.e. 325 degrees for a longer period of time and don't open the oven door during the baking time.

Did all of that. My pan was 2/3 full. I have not heard of the foil tent. How does that work?

mareg Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Maybe tent a piece of aluminum foil over it and keep it there after you take it out of the oven.

Geez I hate that happened to you.

Do you do this? does it help?

Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 15

I don't use WASC, but I believe it's K8 that adds some baking powder to hers.....am I right Kate?

From the picture you posted it looks undercooked in the middle and the sides are above the sides of the pan which to me means there was too much batter and nowhere for it to go. Try filling below the 2/3 level for the next layer and see if that helps.

Other then that I don't know what else to think as I said I only made WASC a couple of times and didn't care for it....it's a heavy cake.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 15

Generally my cakes don't sink while still in the oven--sometimes though--but yes I do this for big momma cakes so they a little more heat directed in that center spot that's hard to get done before the outer edge crisps out.

Do you use the wet toweling around the outside or the Magic Strips--that might help.

Did you disturb it five mins before it was done?

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 15

how do you make the tent on the top if the pan....i know this is probably a stupid question, but i have never heard of it and it sounds like it could be helpful!! please let me know, i would love to try this....exactly how do you do it?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 15

You gotta be careful to not disturb the hot batter but after the cake has crusted on top--I spray a piece of foil so I can remove it later and just fold it once n half open it up and insert it into the oven it on top of the cake pan. It helped my big cakes bake better in my home oven.

I have a Deluxe--just never got it hooked up. icon_biggrin.gifwhy am I smiling

mareg Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 15

I think i'll try that foil trick. I have another in the oven now and used less batter. we'll see!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:56pm
post #12 of 15

thanks so much! sounds good, i will have to try it!

Deb_ Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:47am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

I think i'll try that foil trick. I have another in the oven now and used less batter. we'll see!

Did you have better luck with this one?

-K8memphis Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #14 of 15

When I bake a cake I start it off at 350 later dropping the temperature more toward the end so there's that too.

I think that for big cakes for some ovens, the way they cycle plus if we open the door letting off heat--the temp can languish where the batter in the middle of the big cakes never gets hot enough to fire the baking powder.

You do have an oven thermometer doncha?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 15

Did you open the oven a lot?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%