What Would You Do?

Business By sweet-thing Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm by Horselady

sweet-thing Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 11

Okay, let's say you have a home based baking business and you use your main kitchen for your business. Let's also say one of your four children just tested positive for h1n1. Do you cancel the orders you have for the next few days? Do you call your clients and let them decide? I obviously use safe food handling procedures and am very clean and sanitary even without the flu in the house. I wouldn't let a healthy child sniff around a clients cake. However, there is a big fear of the flu and I am afraid people will think I am taking a risk if I go ahead and do the orders without saying anything. What if someone gets the flu? Will they blame the cake lady? Am I worrying too much?

10 replies
sheeza Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 11

Honestly speaking, if i was in this situation i would cancel the orders until my kids got well. The peace of mind this will give you is well worth it. Had it been a separate kitchen then it would not have been a problem.

Mike1394 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 11

Call your county health department, and ask them.

Mike

sweet-thing Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Call your county health department, and ask them.

Mike

Well, Duh! That is a great idea! icon_redface.gif Should have thought of that. I'll see what they say.

I may just call and tell my clients what is going on. A bad reputation is too hard to repair. Even if it is safe it may be perceived as not. Do you think that would be unprofessional?

sugalips Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 11

I would say cancel the orders. Are you licensed for out of your home? If not, when someone freaks out because you went ahead and made their cake in a house with H1N1 and it gets out that you are not licensed and should be, it could be a big disaster. tapedshut.gificon_sad.gif

sweet-thing Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 11

I'm totally legal. However, I am still concerned that someone might think it is bad that I still did the orders and my reputation be hurt by it. No matter how clean or safe I am.

HD recommended "closing shop" for a week but not requiring me to. I think I will. I just feel awful about the orders I have for this weekend. I am going to call them and explain and let them decide. I will just tell them that my son is not around where I prepare food but that I couldn't sell them a cake in good conscience without making them aware of the situation. I think this will be okay. I think it would be more unprofessional to go ahead and do the orders without saying anything.

Deb_ Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 11

Oh my goodness, I hope your Son gets better soon!!

Stay well and good luck!

auntginn Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 11

I have another suggestion, do you know another baker? One who's reputation is good and you could trust him/her to do the work for you? If so you might want to set something up with them.

Here we do it all the time. Overflow orders are passed around between 3 of us. Or if one is a little too complicated for their skill level we ask the help of the others.

We put the name of the bakery where the order originated on the box, deliver in that name. The Baker who did the work takes all the pay minus $15%.

Hope your baby will be better soon. Praying for your home for a speedy recovery

costumeczar Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet-thing

I'm totally legal. However, I am still concerned that someone might think it is bad that I still did the orders and my reputation be hurt by it. No matter how clean or safe I am.

HD recommended "closing shop" for a week but not requiring me to. I think I will. I just feel awful about the orders I have for this weekend. I am going to call them and explain and let them decide. I will just tell them that my son is not around where I prepare food but that I couldn't sell them a cake in good conscience without making them aware of the situation. I think this will be okay. I think it would be more unprofessional to go ahead and do the orders without saying anything.

I think that most people will thank you for warning them! I got the flu (not H1N1 the regular flu) and it was the most miserable thing I've ever felt. I couldn't move a muscle without everything hurting, it was heinous.

cakesweetiecake Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 11

Wow! Sorry to hear about your son. Someone else on here just went through this recently

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654842-h1n1.html

Hope your son feels better soon!

Horselady Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 11

I think you're better off closing or not saying anything. Parties, where cake is usually served, have a lot of people. If you inform them of the h1n1 and they say go ahead, yet someone gets sick but not ur fault let's say another guest was contagious but didn't know they had it yet, YOU will get blamed, not anyone else.

What is your set rule if one of your children are sick? Do it anyway or close up?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%