Kitchen Layout; Business Resources

Business By Amylou Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm by indydebi

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 3

Well it looks like my dream is becoming (a part-time) reality! We are looking at turning 1/2 our garage into a kitchen...a 14x26' space, roughly 350sf. I told my husband I was looking at a "1-year plan" of getting this in place, but it seems that things are purely by chance happening. (ie ran into a contractor friend yesterday who stopped by to discuss plans!).

I am working w/ the county and health department (I work for them icon_smile.gif ) for regulations.

Do you all have any advice or tips on kitchen layout? I designed the kitchen in our house a few years ago, so I have some sense of it all. I'm looking for tips from people that use theirs for caking day in/day out.

Also, any good reads on running a business. I currently run my husband's business (paperwork, accounting, licenses/permits, etc), but it really doesn't deal with the public. I do deal w/ the public at my day-job, but I want to become a savvy business-owner. I am also looking into some courses too.

Any input is appreciated!

2 replies
dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 3

Have you read "The E-Myth Revisited"? It's a reprinting of the original E-Myth. Very good book for those who want to turn a talent into a business.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 3

e-Myth is a MUST! I recommend it to everyone!

Have you taken a food safety course yet? They cover kitchen layout. In my state, the health dept has to approve the floor plan because there IS a logical way to put it together. Just as a for instance, my foods are delivered thru the back door and placed in my refrigerator, which is by the back door. When I cook, the foods are moved from the 'frig to the cooking area. After they are cooked, they are moved to the warming area. The logic is that you want the foods to flow in your kitchen in a logical manner. What they are wanting to avoid is having the refrigerator in such an inconvenient location that it's easier for you to leave eggs on the counter for a long period of time (bad ... very bad), rather than get the number of eggs you need as you need them, and avoid cross-contamination (uncooked foods must cross the counter space or area where finished foods are stored).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%