Painting On Fondant...im New And Nervous!

Decorating By jo_sephine Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 7:20pm by JanH

jo_sephine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_sephine Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 12

Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum...here's hoping:

Hi!
I'm going to attempt my first leopard print cake tonight. I was planning on painting the spots on MMF using luster dust and vodka mixed. Does anyone know if this is the best way to go? will the vodka eat through the MMF? any help or suggestions are MORE than appreciated!

TIA!!! icon_redface.gif

11 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not familiar with MMF but I know you can definitely do that on any store bought fondant.

Just make sure you use a really nice brush so you don't get any streaks--unless you are going for that look.

jo_sephine Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 12

THANKS! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 12

it shouldn't be a problem..........I just paint with americolor gels straight out of the bottle. Do you have any of them??
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

jo_sephine Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 12

oh, wow!!! thumbs_up.gif ...those are so nice! I don't have any, but it looks like that is exactly what I need! I am headed to A.C Moore after work...do you know if I might find them there? Or maybe Michael's?

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 12

I don't have time to resize right now but I did my first fondant painting with a leopard print. I used americolor gel (but you could use Wilton) and dipped my brush first in a bit of vodka and then into the gel colour. You can click on my photos to take a peek if you'd like. I found it really easy to do so don't be nervous!!

KHalstead Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 12

I don't think they sell them, you'll need to go to a cake deco. store. However, if you have to I've heard people say they've had success using wilton gel colors mixed with vodka or clear vanilla extract. I find it clumpy though......the americolor gels are already a perfect "paint" consistency........if you want it to appear more like watercolors then you can dilute the americolor with clear vanilla. By the way.....all the fondant you see on these examples are all mmf! So it's definitely paintable.

jo_sephine Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #8 of 12

This helps so much, TY!

Since I have to decorate the cake tonight, I'll check for the AmeriColor gels at my craft store and get the Wilton ones if I need to...But now I'll be starting this with a lot more confidence!

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 12

Great tips! I'm not at all capable of painting, and am so jealous! LOL!

KHalstead, gorgeous pictures!!

jo_sephine, I love your avatar!

KHalstead Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 12

thanks, believe it or not I'm not good at painting either.......it's all smoke and mirrors! I pretend LOL

The flowers were done like the "one stroke" painting.....a 4 yr. old could do them, seriously! The rest, I just wing it!

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for posting this....I've been to chicken to try this yet !

KHalstead...you are so talented ! Please tell me how you did the leaf ...it is fabulous.... !

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%