Baking 2" Cakes In 3" Pans

Decorating By sullymel13 Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm by jardot22

sullymel13 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 4

Sorry if this post gets long, but I really need some tips! I always enjoyed baking, but usually used straight boxed mixes, and usually get rave reviews. Now I am doing larger cakes, and wanted to make it a little more special. I started using the WASC recipe, but so far, I am disappointed! Maybe it's just me, because I would like a cake to be a little more fluffy, but they also seem very dry!

I was thinking it was my pans. Before I really knew any better, I bought a set of 3" deep cake pans, because they seemed to be the right size (around) that I wanted. I have been filling these pans with the recommended amounts of batter (according to wilton, who made the pans), and reduced my oven temp to 325, but when the cakes come out, they seem just dry and not too flavorful. I try very hard to take them out as soon as the middle is cooked, but the texture is underwhelming.

Should I try to reduce the amounts of batter, so they will bake better? It seems like I only get 2" cakes anyway, after doing a little leveling. Will that make my layers too short, or are they supposed to be less than 2" anyway (put together with fillings and frosting = 4")? Or should I just try a different recipe? I have another one (from scratch) that I really like the flavor, but do wish it was a little fluffier.

So, to really get to the heart of my question - why is my cake dry?
Is it the recipe, the pans, the amount of batter I am putting in it?

Thanks for listening and your help!

3 replies
jardot22 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 4

It is probably a combination of the amount of batter in your pans without the use of some type of heating core or baking strips, that help the middle bake at the same rate as the rest of the cake. Get yourself a flower nail and stick it in the middle of your batter, then bake at your normal temp. It makes a big difference for me. I use the 3 inch pans as well, but I usually bake 2 inch layers in them (I only fill them half full). I also got the 3 inchers before i knew what i would need LOL.

sullymel13 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 4

I forgot to add that I have been using the flower nails! I also have a Fat Daddio's pan in a different size, but have had worse luck with that one, so I am pretty sure that's not the problem.

jardot22 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 4

Hmm...maybe your oven temp is off? I'm not sure what else it would be besides overbaking the cake. Sorry I can't be of further help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%