Cake Balls

Decorating By misterc Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm by Barb1959

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 21

I just made cake balls for the first time and like them but I am not 100% happy with them. The chocolate pooled at the bottom no matter how long I let it drip off in the bowl. Is there a way to prevent that. I also ended up with some little air bubbles. I know you can prick them with a tooth pick but is there a way to stop air bubbles from happening. The bottom of the balls stuck to the fork a little if I let them sit for a bit on the fork to get excess chocolate off, did I just not freeze them long enough?
Any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link for the cake balls in question
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1490680

20 replies
keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 21

They look really cute! I can't see the air bubbles. Usually I drop mine in the chocolate and use a long spoon to lift them out and brush against the side of the bowl. I don't get much of a base. I didn't like using fork to dip them- didn't turn out as well for me. Is your chocolate too thin? If it is, let it set a few minutes then dip. Good job though.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 21

I'm not sure why you get air bubbles. Have you been stirring it with a whisk for so long?

To prevent the chocolate from pooling, let it drip in a rack for a few minutes and then transfer it on parchment/wax/freezer paper. Put it in the fridge and then remove.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

I just made cake balls for the first time and like them but I am not 100% happy with them. The chocolate pooled at the bottom no matter how long I let it drip off in the bowl. Is there a way to prevent that. I also ended up with some little air bubbles. I know you can prick them with a tooth pick but is there a way to stop air bubbles from happening. The bottom of the balls stuck to the fork a little if I let them sit for a bit on the fork to get excess chocolate off, did I just not freeze them long enough?
Any tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link for the cake balls in question
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1490680

Your cake balls are gorgeous. I have been making cake balls for a couple months now and use the fork method. It does pool a little a little. I usually cut off the excess with a knife if too much.

How do you make them shaped like a pumpkin. Do you use a particular cake or just whatever yu want. Thanks

misterc Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I'm not sure why you get air bubbles. Have you been stirring it with a whisk for so long?

To prevent the chocolate from pooling, let it drip in a rack for a few minutes and then transfer it on parchment/wax/freezer paper. Put it in the fridge and then remove.

I didn't use a whisk but maybe I'm stirring it too much when I add the color.
When you transfer it from the rack to the wax paper how do you not marr the sides or bottom?

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 21

I think your cake balls look great. I just tried to make cake ball pumpkins also but couldn't get the ridges like you did. How did you accomplish that? I think my chocolate was too thick so it filled in my ridges.

misterc Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 21

I used a wooden skewer to make the indentions. Make sure you do them fairly deep or they won't be noticable. Hope that helps.

Rylan Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterc

I didn't use a whisk but maybe I'm stirring it too much when I add the color.
When you transfer it from the rack to the wax paper how do you not marr the sides or bottom?

I just use a fork or two. I don't let it sit on the rack for a long time--just until the excess chocolate has dripped. Once I transfer it to the rack, the chocolate somehow still drips to the marks from the fork.

I'm not sure how I can explain it but I hope you understand.

Btw, your cake balls looks great!

misterc Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 21

I do understand, thanks!

PinkLisa Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 21

I made my indentations pretty deep. Did you thin your chocolate? Mine was pretty thick. What would be the best thing to think candy melts with?

misterc Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

I made my indentations pretty deep. Did you thin your chocolate? Mine was pretty thick. What would be the best thing to think candy melts with?

Thin it with a little vegatable oil

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:29am
post #12 of 21

Can I also ask...what is the stem made out of? Buttercream?? Wouldn't that interfere/not mix well with the chocoloate? Or is it something other than buttercream...?
Was going to make a cake for the work holiday event but maybe I woudl do these.....love them!!

misterc Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #13 of 21

The stems are royal icing.

Rylan Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 2:42am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

I prefer to thin mines with shortening.

PinkLisa Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:31pm
post #15 of 21

I assume milk wouldn't work with the candy melts? I was also thinking maybe corn syrup? I didn't thin mine since I really wasn't sure what was the right thing.

Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #16 of 21

Dont thin it with corn syrup, you'll get candy clay instead. Try the oil but not too much.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 21

Just had to pipe in here. Those cake balls are so cute. Great job!!!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 21

About how much shortening do you add to a bag of candy melts. I tried the veggie oil and I wasn't too satisfied with the result I got. Maybe I used to much. The candy looked a little thin on the cake balls. I also don't think I let them freeze long enough because they were losing cake into my chocolate, and my chocolate was thinned. How long do you usually let them freeze? They were delicious though. My husband and kids just went nuts over them.

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:35pm
post #19 of 21

My trick for the pooling issue is to score around the bottom of the cake ball with a toothpick before the candy hardens. When they are dry, the pooling just snaps off. Your pumpkins are AWESOME!!

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:36pm
post #20 of 21

My trick for the pooling issue is to score around the bottom of the cake ball with a toothpick before the candy hardens. When they are dry, the pooling just snaps off. Your pumpkins are AWESOME!!

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

About how much shortening do you add to a bag of candy melts. I tried the veggie oil and I wasn't too satisfied with the result I got. Maybe I used to much. The candy looked a little thin on the cake balls. I also don't think I let them freeze long enough because they were losing cake into my chocolate, and my chocolate was thinned. How long do you usually let them freeze? They were delicious though. My husband and kids just went nuts over them.

I freeze mine for at least 1 hour (or you can do the night before and freeze all night) I use aprox. 1 tbls. crisco to about 1 lb. of melts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%