Tv Cake Shows

Decorating By Horselady Updated 17 Oct 2009 , 12:54am by newmansmom2004

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 13

While I admit some of thses artists are really good, have you guys noticed that it seems like a lot of the people on here do a mutch better job and are more creative?

I see it the most with some of the amazing wedding cake people. There is one in particular that I just don't think is very good...

Do you guys see this or am I being witch-y

12 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 13

It's an art and all a matter of perception.

Not everyone interpets it the same

Horselady Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 13

I agree as far as actual design goes, but the last episode I watched featured a cake that dind't fit into the fundamentals of cake. Lopsided, tiliting tiersn etc and no, that wasn't the design. They were joking about how bad it was.

The one guy in CA is awesome, control freak but awesome. But I've seen some other stuff that didn't jive if you ask me.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 13

Even the top pros in the pastry and sugar challenges screw up during those competitions.

I was at the World Pastry competition in Nashville and dude, those entremets, aka gourmet cakes 9x2.5 ish in size and some of that work was sliding all over the place--the layers--none of these were even tier cakes.

You gotta know the folks making it were dying a slow painful death--'stuff 'happens.

Now for the individual cakers who have opened up thier work place to cameras--they can't just pick their best designs to showcase--they gotta run a business too--someone has to want the cake they make --it has to jive with that person's event.

It's not just apples and oranges it's fish and fowl too.
Several completely different worlds.
From challenges to retail cake shops to cakes posted here.
Not to mention competition cakes that could have hundreds of hours invested in them over months and months. Different galaxies of cake huh

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

While I admit some of thses artists are really good, have you guys noticed that it seems like a lot of the people on here do a mutch better job and are more creative?

I see it the most with some of the amazing wedding cake people. There is one in particular that I just don't think is very good...

Do you guys see this or am I being witch-y

How would you do under the "lights", and with an impossible time restraint?

Mike

Horselady Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 13

Gosh guys. I wasn't speaking of the challenge people, they do amazing jobs in the time allowed. I was speaking more of the amazing wedding cakes people. And really only one of those. I just didn't want to be naming names, etc.

So I'm sorry if I've stepped on toes or irritated people

And I don't know how I'd do under lights. I'm not a pro, don't pretend to be, and wouldn't hold my hand up to try at this point.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 13

Everybody's toes are fine--yours too yes?. There's actually another thread where a moderator brought this up about that same shop probably. It's around here somewhere...

Horselady Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 13

You hit the nail on the head! I didn't know if we were allowed to say anything negative about one of them since they are nationally known.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:23am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselady

I didn't know if we were allowed to say anything negative about one of them since they are nationally known.

Many of these artists are also CC'ers so I think whatever critisms you have should be more constructive than negative, we are all one family and everybody has a bad day and no one likes to be kicked while on the ground.

Horselady Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #11 of 13

Good point! I'd hate for people to watch my day job on tv because I'm sure that the only thing two horsemen will agree on is what the third is doing wrong so I'd be the dumbest sob in the world, lol. I do feel bad, which is why I didn't want to mention names.

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:41am
post #12 of 13

Wow, Horselady you were just sharing your thoughts and seem to have gotten your head chewed off a bit.... Email is so impersonal no one can get your intentions. Don't stop sharing your ideas. I know I have watched those shows and thought wow, I can do that to. Thanks for your honesty, have a good one.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 12:54am
post #13 of 13

I agree with Horselady.

What I'd really like to see is a cake show that's actually instructional instead of something that's more for entertainment purposes. I'd like them to get a really talented baker and decorator to go through the process of creating one cake per episode, from the baking to the finished product, covering everything from recipe breakdown to stacking or carving, icing, structure and final decoration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%