Pastry Cream Vs Buttercream To Frost Cakes

Decorating By ckckhome Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 2:11pm by ckckhome

ckckhome Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 10:46am
post #1 of 4

On some of the cake shows cake artist when frosting their cakes use the words pastry cream and buttercream does these words have the same meaning.

3 replies
Malakin Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:12am
post #2 of 4

I haven't heard that, but in the culinary world as far as I know pastry cream or creme patissierie, is more of a pastry/cake filling, like lemon curd would be. You can use it to fill cream puffs, eclairs and cakes like you would a boston cream pie. I wouldn't think with most recipes it would be good for the outside covering, it contains a lot of milk.
But, maybe the word is interchangeable to some, just like some buttercream doesn't contain butter!

prterrell Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 4

No, pastry cream is NOT the same thing as buttercream. Pastry cream is a type of cooked custard. It is for filling, not for icing.

ckckhome Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 4

Malakin,Prterrell, thanks for your assistance

Quote by @%username% on %date%